• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

removing the shifter from a jshift d20

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
I went out to the garage and was getting ready to start the twinsticks upgrade, It would appear that the twins do not use the same mounting point as the jshifter . Question is how do i remove the shifter.. I may need to call someone to talk about this unless you have a good pic..kinda dirty under there.. so i cant make out what everything is looking like.. lol

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There are two bolts that hold the shifter to the top of the adapter housing. One screws into the housing and the other passes through and has a nut on the other side.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Your going to have to cut the flags off too. that will be fun with it in place.

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
x2 on both answers above. The j-shift sucks because you need to do some fabrication to attach the twin shift. Use some WD40 to help get the bolts off. I just took my engine, trans, and transfercase out of the truck 2 weeks ago. It was easier to just cut the j-shift stick off than try to get a wrench down into the hole. Good luck, it is a tight squeeze.

BIGED

Guru ????
I spent alot of time pulling my j shift out and cutting the flags thru the original opening can be done.:eek: where I ran into a problem was getting the twin sticks thru that same hole the instructions i got said hole would have to be lengthend but should go?:? I didnt have the room to do that, no body lift made it impossible to get it in there and the long bolt thru, had to make an access hole wish i would have done it from the start.be sure to use lock tite my long bolt backed out but couldnt fall all the way out because it hit the tunnel . good luck and it was worth the time ;D

BroncoBat6

im haveing problems with the rear linkage from my duffs 3 speed hurst shifter hitting my duffs twin stick shifter i just bought. anyone have any suggestion on that problelm????

BroncoBat6

the rear linkage from the 3 speed is up against the inside nut holding the twin sticks together which is putting pressure on the shifter the making it difficult to shift!!! any suggestions

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i seem to remember a spring on the bottom of my J shifter that wouldn't let it come out unless i removed it.

OP
OP
stock1970

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
I got them out last night.. i just could not see the second smaller screw in bolt for all the grease and dirt.. I got the twins in but now i need to take them back out because the washer i used between the d20 and the shifters pushed them out to far so the inside shifter is catching the flags of the outer.. by just enough to give me headaches.. i may cut the flags down a tiny bit more and also i may heat the shifters up and bend them some to fit better .. questions is can this heating them up be done with a cheap prop. torch and can it be done while they are in with out catching the carpet on fire.. lol..