• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replace Front Brake Pads on a 1976 .....

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I need to change my brake pads on my 76. I'm assuming I have the original 76 front disc set up. I've done pads on modern cars but not sure where to start getting them off on the bronco. Thank you.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Remove the bolt, drive the slide & spring that's on top of it out, slip caliper out. And pay attn how everything comes out cause it needs to go back same way.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Brakeclean
Anti-squeal spray
Disc brake grease for your slides
A good clamp to push your pistons back in and you will need every millimeter with the new era in parts specs.
Make sure you pull the lid off the master cylinder when you start pushing the pistons in, it will fill up fast. A big syringe for pulling the extra fluid out works well.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I would also pull the rotors and clean and pack the front wheel bearings, unless you know it has been done recently. Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The bolts are multiple use. It's just that many of them have rusted in place over the years and end up being one-time user after all!
Oh, and too much torque will do it too. Very common for them to snap off because of rust weakening the shank and too much GI Joe Kung-Fu Grip being applied when putting it back together.

It's not a very intuitive design, but it's actually quite good and reliable.
While you have it apart you can dress the sliding surfaces with a fine file (to make sure they're rust-free and smooth) and then apply some brake grease to the sliding surfaces to keep rust at bay for years to come.

Once you've done the first side, the second one will probably take 10 minutes total.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My tools for this job consist of a ball peen hammer, 1/2" diameter brass drift, a 6inch "C" clamp, and a wire brush.
The bolt is just a stop to keep the caliper retainer from working its way out of the slot.
Of coarse, this is an excellent opportunity to get a little deeper and service the hubs and bearings.