• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replaced front output seal on transfer case and it's still leaking

tampabronco

She has whipped me today.... Carefully replaced the front lower output seal, twice...on the transfer case and it's still leaking. It leaking where the splines meet the seal and not the bottom. The Napa parts guy looked it up and he is always right but wondering if I have the wrong seal. I put the same part number in twice. I put a qt of fluid back in it

Any suggestions?

76 3 speed

bax

Contributor
Old Member
How is your yoke? Is there a grove worn into it?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Did you put a rubber seal behind the yoke nut. is it leaking from that area?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Leaking at the splines? Do you have the O-ring installed before the washer and nut? Part #7B215 in the pic.

Mark

Attachments

• figure19.jpg
    figure19.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 77

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is what I was thinking as well. I have had better luck with RTV in that location

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Rtv works too. hell i have used both.

OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

Damn..... No o ring....

There was a rubber washer thing inside the washer and it was chewed up. Didn't pay it much attention but put it back in.

Are you applying the RTV on the outside of the saddle under the nut and washer?

Thanks guys

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Just use the RTV in place of the O-ring. After you slip the yoke on, put a little around the spline and yoke surface, under the washer.

Mark

OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

Thanks Mark

Can't believe I didn't catch the oring's importance. I have plenty of RTV

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
This makes you the new expert on this topic. How do you think I found out there's suppose to be an O-ring on top of the yoke?

OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

That fixed the problem

Sealed it with RTV and is holding up. Thanks again

bax

Contributor
Old Member
yes it is but the rear is way less prone to leak because it is higher than the oil level.

broncoman82

Loc.
Blairsville Ga.
Thanks I was just wondering, because I will soon be doing this same thing. My problem is right the opposite mine is leaking like hell out of the rear.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I hate it when you leak out the rear.

slim811

Contributor
Napa part # for O-ring?

Leaking at the splines? Do you have the O-ring installed before the washer and nut? Part #7B215 in the pic.

Mark

I took this diagram to my local NAPA parts dealer. He said the O-ring is obsolete and to use silicon. Does any one know where I can get get the O-ring? Thanks, Slim

Attachments

• figure19.jpg
    figure19.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 8

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I took this diagram to my local NAPA parts dealer. He said the O-ring is obsolete and to use silicon. Does any one know where I can get get the O-ring? Thanks, Slim
If the auto parts store can't get it I usually go to my Ace hardware store and they have a better selection of bolts and O-rings there.