• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacement Valve Covers/ PCV fitting HELP

RyanOwens

Loc.
Cypress, TX
I got replacement valve covers from JBG. They are the blue powered by Ford valve covers for my 72 Bronco.

On the driver side I was able to take the fitting off my old valve cover and run the hose from the valve cover to the back of the carb.

On the passenger side I can not get the 90 degree elbow off my old valve cover to out on the new valve cover so I can sun the hose to the bottom of the air intake.

It looks to me like even if the fitting came off the old valve cover, that it would not fit into the new valve cover.

The new valve cover opening is like the shape of a capital D.

Can I just go to the auto parts store and find a 90 degree elbow fitting that will fit, or is this a special type of thing I will need to order?

Thanks.

OP
OP
RyanOwens

RyanOwens

Loc.
Cypress, TX
The top image is the passenger side valve cover. See the D shaped opening.

I can't find a fitting that will fir that opening and allow me to connect the tubing to the air intake.

I was told that these may have been designed for a late 60's mustang.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Kind of an odd shape for later EB's, but may still work. It's a semi-common shape on other vehicle's engines, but I thought the Bronco covers had round holes in them. Unless that's the shape that was on the earlier 289 models? Could be wrong though, so don't quote me.

I would take it with you to the parts store and look for a new grommet and elbow to put in there. You might even find a D-shaped grommet with a round hole in the middle. Been awhile since I've looked.

Not being able to remove the old ones is a common issue. The rubber of the grommet is so stiff now, that the barbs on the elbow just cannot get back out through it. You can cut the grommet of course, if you're not going to re-use the covers. that way you can still use the elbow at least, and can prep and paint the covers if that's what you're intending to do.
Otherwise, just leave it and get all new. The elbow is a common fitting. The grommet is the only hole-specific item.

Paul