• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing clutch behind 170 w/ stock 3 speed

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
I need to replace the clutch behind my 69 six cylinder. I'm going with the OEM 9" clutch from Summit and am going to pull the transmission and transfer case as one. The Chiltons manual states I need to fabricate a tool to lock the transmission in place before removal. Anyone know what this tool is? Thanks.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
That tool is really just something to hold the two shift levers in position if you were going to split apart the trans and transfer case. If the shift is in a certain position and you slid them apart some needle bearings fall out. If you are not separating the trans and transfer case you are OK without the 'tool' in place.

The tool will prevent the input shaft roller bearings from dropping into the transmission case when separating the transfer case from transmission and output shaft.

OP
OP
TDubya

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
Thanks for that. So if I pull the trans and transfer case as one and don't separate them, it should be a straight forward clutch replacement?

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Correct. Leave them as one. Line up the clutch disc with alignment tool as any other clutch replacement. Bolt on the pressure plate. Make sure to install new throw out bearing. Also, make sure that the throw out bearing slides nice and freely on the transmission bearing retainer (end shaft?). Take a look at the bell housing and make sure that the clutch fork and that piece on the bell housing it pivots on are in good condition.

I've had my trans out a few times for different reasons. I always have the most trouble getting the 4x4 shifter loose from the top of the trans. That darn nut and bolt and the 9/16" bolt are just hard to access. Last time I think I undid the shift linkage and the bolts holding the trans to the bell housing. I left the cross member attached to the xfer case, just removed the two side brackets. Then lowered the assembly some so I could get to the bolts easier. Then once those are loose slid the assembly back and down. Then off with the bell housing. Something along those lines.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, think about pulling the engine instead. I would rather pull the engine and leave the very heavy cast iron tranny and transfer case in place. I find it much easier to do most of the work from the top. I work on a concrete slab. No lift. Look at the tranny. It is rounded on the bottom. The whole unit is unbalanced. No real good way to grab it. Good luck

BruceAH

Loc.
Apple Valley
Having done this on my '66 (about 45 years ago) I would also suggest pulling the engine. With a simple 6, there's not a whole lot to disconnect to extract the engine...supporting the tranny/transfer case (to pull it back/down) is, however, a real challenge when you're doing this on your own.

Bruce