• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing door hinge backing plates

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
My door hinge situation is bad. I've got several snapped off bolts and one backing plate with a thread tap broken off inside it. I'd like to just get it over with and replace all 4 backing plates with new ones from Tom's and a 24 piece bolt kit. A little pricey but it's not worth my time to mess with bolt heads snapping off.

so.... how do I get in there to take those backing plates off?

thanks,
dan

gidieupp

Loc.
NYC
Seems to me the best way is to take off the fender then cut an access hole in the back of the post.

That is what I did, but I didn't cut a hole, just 3 slits (like this [ )and then I bent the sheet metal enough to replace the plates and then I bent back the sheet metal. There were little brackets inside the post hoding the plates in place. The place are loose inside the post, the brackets are just so the plates won't fall to the bottom of the door post.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
but there is no bracket on top of the plates right? so you can just lift them up and out?

did you have to get your whole hand/arm inside there?

what about making your own backing plates? shouldn't be difficult right? I've been wanting a drill press so i thought i'd put the $70 towards a press instead of buying backing plates.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
also, i think i prefer the idea of cutting the kick panel. Its less likely to get water in there since it's inside the cab. I would like to just leave it open if possible for future work/maintenance. Once the kick panel is opened up is the inside of the door post sealed from outside air?