• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing Door Posts (hinge side)

I need to replace the door posts on my '77. I bought an inexpensive Dual Mig Welder from Harbor Freight figuring the cost could easily be made up on the first job.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult do you rate the job? I have replaced the floorpans in my '65 Mustang before. I did all the removal and fitting of the new metal, but I only watched my father-in-law weld them in. He ran a full bead around the edges for the most part.

I plan on spot welding in, at a minimum, the new door posts which doesn't sound all that difficult to me.

Are there any other simpler options to removing the door posts(patching, reinforcing)???

Wire size/type recommendations?? I don't have gas, but my welder will accept it.

On a scale of 1 to 10 for the R&R process having never really welded before.........??????

**I did actually do a little oxy-acetylene welding a few years back

Thanks

mag409

Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
First off, definately run gas on the mig. Go with a blend (25%) or if you can find it Stargon which adds a little O2 to the mix. Use .023" wire for the best results on sheetmetal. You could use a heavier wire but it will be more difficult to control and you will battle blow through.

As far as difficulty........thats a tough one to answer. The job isn't that difficult as long as you measure everything 20 times and then weld it in place. I would suggest tacking it in place before final welding. Re hang the door and check alignment. Look at all the supporting structure around the doorpost to make sure its solid before replacing. Also, check the striker post to make sure its good. You want to take all the variables out of the mix when you try to line the doors back up with the new post. I don't have the document on this computer but there is a measurement sheet floating around this site with measurements to use when putting the new post back in place. I would use it as a reference and take the same measurements against your current post to verify they are right for you. They are all pretty close but some variability exists in each bronco.

Take your time and good luck.

Mike