• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing the Gas Tank

BamaBlue'67

I have a gas leak and considering replacing the whole system (tank, sending unit, hoses), as my gauge does not currently work either.

Are there any dos or don'ts with a tank replacement? Should I go with 14gal poly or the big 23gal tank? Do I need the skid plate...?

Any and all info appreciated.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
If I had to replace my tank Id go with the big one.
As to weither or not you need a skid plate..... how worried are you about hitting rocks with it? I don;t think its essential for the install.

P

plemmons

I just replace mine with a 23 efi capable tank. There is very little clearance to allow going straight up with it. It is much easier to remove the bumper. IMHO.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
If I had to replace my tank Id go with the big one.
As to weither or not you need a skid plate..... how worried are you about hitting rocks with it? I don;t think its essential for the install.

Same here. I would Fab the skid plate yourself, save the $$$.

OP
OP
BamaBlue'67

BamaBlue'67

I don't have a stock bumper...welded on, custom made.
What was the problem with your bumper clearance specifically? Would like some more info of the difficulties you ran into.
thanks

P

plemmons

I got my tank from Wild Horses (23 gal efi) and my proble was the filler neck. It is serveral inches long which forced you to tilt the driver side of the tank up to get the neck over the top of the frame rail. When you do this, the width of the tank gets larger. And now that I'm rehashing that painful evening I remember having to cut the curved tank stops off the frame. If your bumper is welded onto the frame then you would have no choice but up from underneath. Having been through all this on mine and knowing you can't remove your bumper, I would stay with the original size tank. JMO.

ZookBronc

Loc.
South Orange County
I replaced mine with a 23 gallon tank and did it from underneath, in fact, never thought about taking the bumper off, and it wasnt that big of a deal. Like everything else when your working on your Bronco, take your time and you should have very few problems, is any. Good luck with whatever you decide.

OP
OP
BamaBlue'67

BamaBlue'67

So how many of you have had problems getting the 23gal to fit correctly...? Could the neck fittings not be trimmed to accomodate?
I don't know that I would need the larger tank, but it might be nice to have for convenience purposes. Just trying to make a decision given past experiences from the board.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
If I was replacing a tank it would be efi compatible (my PO installed one for me, although I'm running a carb). A new tank will last another 40 years and you always have the opttion to go injected.
Its a pretty straight replacement although that new fuel hose is super tough.