• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Retarded Question of the Day #3

mavman427

Loc.
Nipomo, CA
I have a standard T-shift Dana 20 transfer case. The shift indicator has long since been lost and I've driven my Bronco a grand total of 1 time with an unknown transfer case setting. I'm getting close to getting it back on the road and am trying to figure out the shift pattern. I believe forward is 4WL, 1 step down is Neutral, 1 below that is 2WH, and the lower-most setting is 4WH.

My question to you guys is how does it stay in gear for 2WH? It seems to engage fine for 4WH and 4WL at both ends of the shifter travel, but everything in between is pretty mushy and it wouldn't take much to go from 2WH to neutral. I'm skeptical it would stay in 2WH at all. Am I missing something here? I guess I should also mention that my shift lock is also broke, so that may be part of it ;D.

OP
OP
mavman427

mavman427

Loc.
Nipomo, CA
I seem to be getting 4L, 2L, N, 2WH...but no 4WL. The T-shifter goes as far back as possible and that is 2WH. Any ideas?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
where is reverse on these?

On a three speed it's toward you and up if the shifter is still on the column. If it's been converted to the floor, it's to the left and up.

This thread is about the transfer case shift pattern though, not the transmission. All the above posts are unrelated to the transmission shift pattern.

rydog

Loc.
Lafayette, Louisiana
I just got mine, it is '72 with a T-shift on the floor with no shift indicator on it either and I couldnt find reverse. So from top is: 4L, 2L, N, 2H, then 4H? Where along the track do you oull left and forward for reverse?
btw, sorry for the dumb question, this bronco is pretty rough shape

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Two different shifters rydog. Oh, welcome to CB by the way!

The transfer case shifter does not supply any reverse gears. Only low/high and 2/4 wheel drive positions.

Reverse is strictly from the transmission shifter. Stock was on the steering column, but as thegreatjustino said, some get converted to floor-shifters. Which is yours?

Paul

rydog

Loc.
Lafayette, Louisiana
oh, thanks I got it now, it is on the collar and the L_H is on the floor. Is the collar shift only Forward and reverse? And is it better to convert to floor shifters( I guess it would be if I was going to replace steering column anyway)?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
oh, thanks I got it now, it is on the collar and the L_H is on the floor. Is the collar shift only Forward and reverse? And is it better to convert to floor shifters( I guess it would be if I was going to replace steering column anyway)?

You're still not getting it. Completely disregard the shifter on the floor (transfer case) for now. The column shifter does the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, neutral and reverse. It does the same for manual trans and auto trans. Just like any column shifted car/truck you've ever driven.

The transfer case is an additional gearbox mounted behind the transmission. It has a high range, neutral, and a low range. It can deliver power to just the rear wheels or to all the wheels.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What he said. It's still an "H" pattern, similar to any manual trans.
Grab the lever on the column and rotate it up and down (roughly from the 1 o'clock position, to the 4 o'clock position) until you feel a slight relief about mid-way that lets you pull it towards you slightly. You'll feel it.
When it reaches that point and you pull the lever toward you (or towards the steering wheel if you'd rather look at it that way) through the "gate", continue to rotate it UP to the end at 1 o'clock.
That's reverse.

From there, you'd rotate the lever DOWN to 4 o'clock.
That's first.

Forward and up is 2nd.
Forward and down is 3rd.

Like anything, it's easy once you know how.

Paul

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does this help.....?

Attachments

• Shift pattern.pdf
    51.5 KB · Views: 15

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
My stock D20 transfer case with a T shifter does not have a 2L position. Just Low 4W, N,Hi 2W, Hi 4W. With Low 4W all the way forward.

It "has it" but there is no detent in the shifter to stop it there and no annotation about it. It's due to the way the T shift tcase works. It puts the rear drive side in gear before the front drive side can go into gear. The high range side works the same way but there is a detent on the shifter and it's marked 2 High.

rydog

Loc.
Lafayette, Louisiana
Thanks for the help guys, I just got this Bronco but there are no brakes yet so I can't really test it out. It will take a good restoration job to get this EB going; so I'm wondering, can the steering column be replaced with tilt steering? Or would I have to switch to a floor shifter to do so? And, is this a pretty good transmission or should I look into swapping?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the help guys, I just got this Bronco but there are no brakes yet so I can't really test it out. It will take a good restoration job to get this EB going; so I'm wondering, can the steering column be replaced with tilt steering? Or would I have to switch to a floor shifter to do so? And, is this a pretty good transmission or should I look into swapping?

yes you can do the tilt column http://classicbroncos.com/tech/1984-1991-f150f250-steering-column-swap the three speed is a pretty good transmission but it all depends on what you want to do with the bronco, dd, rocks, ect.... there are plenty of options in the tech section.