• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rock Lights as back up lights??

kat

Loc.
Bristol
My original reverse lights don't work and don't want to chase down the problem since I want a brighter light. Have been looking at normal led flood lights to mount on my frame but they are rather big and don't have a lot of "wiggle room" on how you can mount them. So had the idea of getting a set of rock lights (hopefuly 6, 1 in each fenderwell and 2 or reverse lights) but didn't know if they put off enough light to be used as BRIGHT reverse lights. During the summer I had the cab off and used my brake lights as a guide, but now since the cab is on and tint is on the windows, I cant see nothing.
Ive seen a few older threads that use lights from wallyworld, are they bright enough for what I want??..Any ideas on a set of small led flood lights that can be mounted from there side and not the bottom??
Also what kind of wattage should I be looking for...I want the brightest light but not drain my battery with an hour of sitting without running...if that is possible

Last edited:
OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
That's perfect except kinda expensive for one light...Thank you though

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Typical failure is the switch. Which you will need to fix in order to use your fancy lights as a patch job. Once you have a working switch, which you will need for any lights to activate in reverse, the original lights will probably start working.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
That's perfect except kinda expensive for one light...Thank you though

True.

But they are bright, very small, draw minimal amps, throw out a lot of light, and they are sealed to prevent road slime from getting in. I expect them to last a long time.

That being said, you get what you paid for has to tie into what your budget is... Good luck with your search.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I used these small LED lights I got from Amazon. They were cheap and are super bright. I have them wired up to the reverse light switch and a manual toggle switch.

Attachments

• 2016-01-09 15.13.42.jpg
    2016-01-09 15.13.42.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 2016-01-09 15.13.29.jpg
    2016-01-09 15.13.29.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 74

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I used a single Marchal fog light harvested from a junkyard 5.0 Mustang GT's front air dam for a reverse light. Took it off the last truck and will be adding it to the Bronc-up once things are a little further along. I drive it with a relay triggered by the reverse light wire.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA

Slightly cheaper... I'll say! ;D

LED lighting continues to have more options and cost less... I bought my lights when they were $48 almost 5 years ago.

At SEMA 5 yrs ago maybe 10 Vendors had some LED lights and they were quite proud of them. Now they are in every section and there are a 100 Vendors all competing for your $$$.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
https://luxlightingsystems.com/collections/the-max/products/max-led-light-pods-singles
Looking into buying a set of these...but don't know electric jargon that well...they say it has a 300mA draw. I think this is 1/3 of an amp. So how long could they be on with engine running before I have a issue with a good battery

That draw is quite small... You might run out of gas before these lights killed the battery... Depending on how big your Alt is and whatever else you have on.

Duff sells those lights, or something very similar... I bought some, but have not installed them.

http://www.dufftuff.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=rock+lights&x=18&y=13

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Badmuttstang here on CB may still have a few single lights for sale.
He sold me a single, round, 5 led, flood light. Pulls very little power. I wired it into my trailer light plug wiring.
My gawd it is bright and floods wide.
Wish I had done it years ago. I never worry about backing up in the dark anymore. Worth the effort Kat.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
I was actualy looking at those but I was scared that they were TO cheap...has anyone used them???
I used one for my dome light

Attachments

• IMG_20150802_215944734.jpg
    IMG_20150802_215944734.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20150802_215719379.jpg
    IMG_20150802_215719379.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 59

mitzel

Contributor
Loc.
Googleplex
they say it has a 300mA draw. I think this is 1/3 of an amp. So how long could they be on with engine not (edit) running before I have a issue with a good battery

Connected to a cellphone battery you might get
upto ~8 hours runtime. Connected to full size
automotive battery you're probably looking at
close to 1 week runtime!

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Those should be super bright. The ones I have are 18W each and are way bright. Those 27W lights should draw less than 5 amps combined.