• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rough idle/crankcase pressure

DrewBlick

Bought the bronco 6 months ago. No history on the 302.took some time to get carb sorted out but has been running great for last couple of months. Went for a drive this week( about 25 miles)and when i pulled off highway it stumbled. Pulled into parking lot and it stalled with smoke out of hood. Popped hood to see it was puking out the breather. Had to go inside for a few hours and when i came out it started and ran pretty good. Still idles rough and black smoke comes out exhaust but seems to have all its power. The crankcase seems to be getting pressure from something and idle is off now. Has a pcv hooked to base plate. Any suggestions? Fingers crossed for something not serious. Thanks in advance

JSBX

Contributor
I had that happen on a 79 Ford F-150 once. I found the PCV valve, the line from PCV to the EGR plate and the EGR plate completely plugged up with gunk. Cleaned them all out and cured the problem.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have run into that same scenario during tune-ups as well. Caked under the intake.
But as said, check the PCV anyway. Might be old and caked up itself, or the hose might not be totally clear.

Of course, it could be excess blowby from some internal malady, but we're hoping for quick-n-cheap at this point too!
Have you given it a tune-up since you've had it?

Good luck. And welcome to classicbroncos too by the way!

Paul