• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rubicon or early bronco front and rear axle, which is stonger?

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I've heard the Rubi front end has some unique parts to it. I would think D44/D44 strength would be about the same, but the availability of parts for the EB D44 I think would make it the better choice.

I'm a big fan of the 9" rear, and again the parts availability makes it attractive.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Rubicon front for sure. It comes with 297/760 u-joints.
For the rears' I don't know what size axles are in the rear 44, but I would guess they are bigger then the 28 spline EB ones

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Which Rubicon? There is a difference between TJ and JK versions. At least in the rear.

Rear
9" has better ring and pinion.
JK has best shafts 32 vs. 28 spline for a stock Bronco

All Rubicons have better front ends (ring and pinion the same but the U-joints are bigger.

Would you like some orange juice with your apple sauce?

minimatt

Front Rubicon 44's run 1/4" wall 2.5" dia Dana 30 style axles tubes, so I would have to go with the Bronco axles from a housing strength standpoint. Pinion location would be slightly higher on the Rubicon 44 rear than the 9", and Jeep axle shafts have a higher spline count, depending on year. To my knowledge, the only gears available for the JK 44 are factory 4.10's or 4.88 and 5.13 from the aftermarket.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Rubicon has stronger axles (32 spline) vs 30 and 28 respectively, it uses weaker unit bearings up front, thinner axle tubes and has smaller brakes.

If you're looking for strength, go with a D60 front and some 31-40 spline rears for the 9" or a 14 bolt.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Rubicon has stronger axles (32 spline) vs 30 and 28 respectively, it uses weaker unit bearings up front, thinner axle tubes and has smaller brakes.

Yep, you are correct. Be wary of Jeep front D44s. They're a weird combination of D44 and D30 parts, which is why they have unit bearings and thinner axle tubes. If you break a shaft on the trail and have unit bearings it's a PITA to replace, and unlike a real D44, you can't just pull the broken shaft out and go, even if you put the unit bearing back on.

OP
OP
J

jurob

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
don't plan on swapping my axles. few years ago i had 2 jeeps, just light trail. on the jeep boards d30/d35 had to be changed. many wanted rubicon or explorer 8.8 31 spline rear.

come here and think i'm a pimp with my d44/9" and all i hear is how ive got to upgrade it.

OX1,
here's the mont at the track a few weeks ago. don't get much time to race, but hoping to squeeze a high 9 out of it when the tracks open up. not too bad for stock 5.0 with an aod trans.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l96hHISCohk

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Don't listen to 'em. People are amazed at what I wheel with my D44/9" axles when they're breaking their D60's. :cool:

I agree. I don't know why D60's are so heavily pushed. I haven't had any problems with my D44 or 9.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 44 and 9" have a couple of slightly weak areas. Both easily addressed. Front simply needs bigger U-joints in the front axle. Chevy axle swap is common and good, aftermarket axles and U-joints can take it even further. Rear 28 spline are a little light, but 31 spline are so common that people sometimes think they are a factory option. With those 2 relitivly inexpensive upgrades the D44 and 9" are very good pieces. Of course there are always one that is just a little better if you want to spend more money.

When the tires start getting so tall that the truck needs to start getting wider then look at 60's. Personally, the minimum tire size to run a 60 is 37s. And a lot of that is so you can have functional brakes.

73bronco

Yep the D44 front in J**Ps are D44 center section, R&P and axles while everything else from the center out is D30. We have fun laughing at them at my dealership. Slight upgrades to the bronco axles and they are great!!

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
Yup! The 03-06 Rubi axles are week in the front. Here are pics of mine before I beefed them up with the Alloy USA axle conversion with the 30 spline outers and hubs. I am easy on the peddle and they snapped them with 33's on them in a straight up hill. The 07 up models are suppose to be better and if you look in the 4WP or Quadra Tech catalog they are much cheaper complete than the old ones.
30.jpg

40.jpg

mr.n

rubicon or early bronco front and rear axle, which is stonger?
A Jeep Rubicon and Early Bronco are complete different Front Dana 44's... No need to go into a point by point. (You'll have to get me at a trail-ride campfire for that talk)
Which set is overall stronger as they come from the Factory? The Rubicon
Which set should you get for trail riding? The Early Bronco (Very easy to upgrade all the small parts)

I see one reason why I'd buy Rubicon axles... Found a good deal on a Jeep TJ, with out the Dana 44's. Very easy to bolt into that coil setup.