• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rust on AOD oil pump inside bell housing

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
So, for years I left my never run very nicely built up AOD in storage and I guess somewhere along the way it got moved off of the cardboard I had it on and onto hard concrete.

No need to get into the science of it, but that caused oxide on the bell housing which shouldn’t be too tough to clean, just annoying but also made the outside of the pump rust.

Don’t really want to take this apart to clean unless I have to. Anyone have any tips on getting this off? I tried some spray lubricant which got some off, I scraped some off, brake clean got a little more off…I don’t really want any there if I can help it. I do plan on popping off the seal to make sure nothing made it’s way inside but it doesn’t look like it did and all rotates by hand smoothly.

1673049867181.jpeg
Maybe just some rust neutralizer and forget about it?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The pump I could care less about.
The rust on the splines of that stator support I don't like. I would be unbolting that pump to address the stator splines, that is junk inside the transmission.
And since you have the pump off, use your favorite battery and aluminum foil, or evaporust treatment.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
The pump I could care less about.
The rust on the splines of that stator support I don't like. I would be unbolting that pump to address the stator splines, that is junk inside the transmission.
And since you have the pump off, use your favorite battery and aluminum foil, or evaporust treatment.
Ok, thanks... I will prob pull it if it's the right thing to do. Prob better to make sure I get it all anyway and not let it get into my converter.

Please explain the battery/aluminum foil.

Thanks!

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Cleaned up a good amount before disassembly, then pulled the pump and cleaned the rust. Everything inside looks great—glad no rust got inside, I’m sure that’s only because it was done properly with trans fluid all over it.

Used Evaporust, it worked great, and then cleaned it off with Brake Clean.

Ordered new seals and should be good to go.

Thanks @Broncobowsher for the help and push to do the right thing!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you going to leave it bare metal to rust again bolted up to the engine? Or paint it with something like Rustoleum rust converting primer?
Seems like I see them rusted all the time. At least the cover, though not the splines so much.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Splines shouldn't be an issue. They are inside the convertor when it is all together and running. Leave those bare and leave a convertor on it and they are fine. Don't want paint, it will flake off under load and you just added garbage inside the transmission.

The outside, exposed to the elements. Sure, hit that with a light coat of rattle can if you like. I might even splurge for high heat.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, that's what I was meaning. Just the pump cover not the shaft and splines.

Paul

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yes, I plan to spray Rustoleum engine or high heat on the inner case and pump but not splines. I have to repaint the exterior of the case on the edges anyway where it oxidized and I don’t like rust, even on a pump that you’ll never see. Not a fan.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Splines shouldn't be an issue. They are inside the convertor when it is all together and running. Leave those bare and leave a convertor on it and they are fine. Don't want paint, it will flake off under load and you just added garbage inside the transmission.

The outside, exposed to the elements. Sure, hit that with a light coat of rattle can if you like. I might even splurge for high heat.

definitely....