• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scored Axle - Replace or Okay?

MSwheelin

Loc.
Iuka, MS
Pulled the axle to replace a leaking seal. I noticed the scoring probably from whoever replaced the bearings last time. Is this enough to be concerned about or is it fine to run as is? Thanks for all replies.

Attachments

• Scored axle.jpg
    Scored axle.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Scored axle2.jpg
    Scored axle2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 59

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I would not worry about that.
I would give the bearing a spin. The bearing looks pretty new.
Good luck

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Strength wise, not worried about it.
Sealing, looks like most of it is not in the sealing area, so that is good. What little bit that looks like it is in the sealing area just needs a little fine emery polish or if it is too deep of a gouge put a little JB weld in the gouge and polish that smooth. That is a pretty common fix for motorcycle forks as well.

OP
OP
M

MSwheelin

Loc.
Iuka, MS
Thanks. Bearing is in good shape so I'm leaving it for now. I'll smooth out the rough part and see if it seals up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, that is some decent gouging there. While the "by the book" recommendation is likely to replace it, I'm with the others that it doesn't look like a big weak link.
But I'd be curious how it got there. Simply lack of lube when installing? Maybe.

You might take a measurement to the area though. I wonder if a standard bearing being slid over an axle made for a Set 20 could do that?
This a big or a small bearing? If a small, then this is very unlikely as it probably would have split the bearing long before being able to install it. If a big bearing though, they're pretty close to the Set 20 size, so perhaps that was the problem.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess we should have asked how do you intend to use the truck and what size tires are you running!
If you're mud racing and/or running 36" tires on small-bearing axles, I might re-think that previous scenario.

And I just happen to have some nice axles for sale today!:cool:;);D

Paul