• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scout Dana 44

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
basically no scouts have a passenger side drop broncos need a driverside drop much easier to get a bronco D44. Not to mention leaf spring vs coil springs. Could one be swapped in sure but it would take a lot more work than its worth.

OP
OP
BoureeOne

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Plans for mine is a weekend driver. 3"SL, 1"BL, rebuilt slight cam 302, NV3550, Would you think a dana 30 with disc conversion would be all I need? What is real difference between the 30 and the 44?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For your intended uses, it sounds like the 30 would be perfectly fine. They lived long and happy lives under Broncos for years. Some didn't of course, so the upgrade to the larger 44 was welcome, but not everyone needs one.
Larger diameter ring gear, some slightly larger tubes and axle shafts (I think?) and probably some other minor details, but unless you go to a larger tire and also are heavy of right foot, don't worry about if for now.

And if you find a good deal on a 44 later, you can swap your disc setup right over to it.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Should ask, what size tire are you planning, and if you do go wheeling, what type are you intending to do?
And do you race around the city streets like a hot-rod when you do drive it around town?
Those little details might be germane.

Paul

OP
OP
BoureeOne

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
So what is the best disc swap for a 30, the chevy or the ford? With either, what are the donor vehicles to go looking for, and what are the parts needed?

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the 30 you don't have a choice. Only the GM swap will work.

Paul

1970mule

Bronco Guru
yup as donk said but the upside is that if you want to go to a dana 44 later then you can just use the same disk off that dana 30 and swap it right over to the other. you can sorce all the parts from the junker that you need and get the ones that should be new from your local auto store. or just buy the whole setup from one of the vedors here or ebay.

OP
OP
BoureeOne

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
I know it gets tiresome for you guys who are considered the go to guys for tech advice, and you get tired of seeing the same questions, and same conversions asked over and over. Its hard to think back to when you first pulled your new EB purchase into the garage and started thinking about all the things you wanted to do with it. I just bought my 66 a couple of weeks ago. It has been many a moon since I have been turning wrenches and searching through junk yards. I did a couple of CJ7's 20 years ago. Put small block 350's in them. But the EB has always been a real passion of mine. I have really big plans for my truck. I always seem to have projects going. Just restored a 1960's coke machine with an LSU Tiger theme. Ok, enough of that. Last question for the night. What do I need to get from the chevy donor and what year and models do I look for those parts from? What do I need to get new that is ford? Should those just come from local parts store? And again, thanks for you guys patience, advice and gracious sharing of your knowledge.

Scott

ransil

Bronco Guru
If you put a location in you profile someone close may have a D44 laying around.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I've been running the Chevy discs on a D30 with limited slip for several years now. I wheel pretty hard on 33x12.5s and have no problems yet.

Old Bronco Guy

I have a '72 Scout Dana 44 (rear)under our '66....it replaced the 9" REAR diff. This was a easy conversion I did in 1980 after a coupla broken rear axles. 4.10 ratio with a Tru-trac. Works well with the front 30 with Tru-trac. :)

Old Bronco Guy

Over the years of experience, every day driver, 4x4 playday racing, desert racing, drag racing and 11 years owning my own shop I have broken the Ford 9" in every way possible.:( The last straw was a broken axle which nearly rolled the Bronco with my wife alone 100 miles from my offroad shop. Also at that time the only traction aiding items were the Ford clutch unit:( or a Detroit locker not suitable for winter icy roads. The matching of Tru-trac's and Spicer diff's worked very well. Soon we'll start a build thread of the revival of this timeless old family member.:) Oh, also never a broken part on that 44.