• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SD to mass air Will this work?

oly24

Loc.
olympia
I bought an ECM it came out of a 93 Thunderbird the code is a P3M. I would like to change my 88 mustang SD engine to mass air. what else do I need to buy? The mass air sensor was gone and the harness was all cut up thats why I didn't buy it! And how hard is this to do? If it won't work I am only out $10.50 thought I would take a chance. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
EFI ECM Help on my 1988 5.0 engine

I bought an ECM it came out of a 93 Thunderbird the code is a P3M. I would like to change my 88 mustang SD engine to mass air. what else do I need to buy? The mass air sensor was gone and the harness was all cut up thats why I didn't buy it! And how hard is this to do? If it won't work I am only out $10.50 thought I would take a chance. Thanks for any help.

I dont want to touch this one but would like to offer a little advice regarding your subject line. You might get more hits on your thread if you put something like "EFI ECM Help on my 1988 5.0 engine" You can still edit your subject line and see what happens. If you're still out there, give it a try.

Subject lines such as "will this work?", "can I do this?", "...What if I?" Dont usually get much attention around here.

I usually like to go after the 0 replies posts for the challenge but I just dont know the answer aside from getting the harness and all related sensors off the '93 donor car and swapping them over to your vehicle

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm a little bored, I'll bite...

It could work, but probably going to take more then you planned.

There are a few pins at the ECM that need to be moved due to the different computers. WWW.fordfuelinjection.com has the pin outs and you can cross reference them and figure out what needs to be moved to where.

You will need to find a MAF. Not any old MAF but one that has the matching calibration for the computer. Wrong MAF will cause problems that you will never figure out.

Good thing is that at $10.50 it was affordable enough that you can use it as a core on a standard A9* computer from a parts store.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Like BwoncoHowie, I'm not much on EFI.. yet (my conversion is coming). Did just a little searching, and found the P3M ECM is from a 91-93 5.0 Tbird, Mass Air with Auto Transmission. This is from the http://fordfuelinjection.com web site, which will become one of your best friends as you continue this swap.

I also did a simple Google search on "speed density to mass air conversion" and found a bunch of articles on this swap. I scanned this one, and it seemed pretty straight forward.
http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html

OP
OP
O

oly24

Loc.
olympia
Thanks for the info.
I am not sure that I do want to switch MAF just out getting parts for the system just in case I would like to up grade the engine!
I wrote down the vin #, the year, make, and model if I need to get new sensors for this system Can't I get the right parts that match with this info?