• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Securing amplifier under passenger seat

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have the amplifier for my stereo mounted under my passenger seat. A couple of weeks back, some jacka$$ ripped it off. My insurance replaced it, but now I'd like to know if anyone knows of a way to securely mount it to make it more difficult to steal. The four screws holding it down are tight, but I'm looking for suggestions for a more secure way to do it.

66horse

Bronco Guru
you might try something like this from wildchild.<br><br>
seat_box.jpg
<br><br>Wild Child locking box under pass seat

merciless

Loc.
Brooklyn, NY
[quote author=thegreatjustino link=board=5;threadid=12057;start=0#89079 date=1039207308]<br>I have the amplifier for my stereo mounted under my passenger seat. A couple of weeks back, some jacka$$ ripped it off. My insurance replaced it, but now I'd like to know if anyone knows of a way to securely mount it to make it more difficult to steal. The four screws holding it down are tight, but I'm looking for suggestions for a more secure way to do it.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Did you get ripped off while its parked at home? Is it concelead like a cover and the wires too. Outi sight outi mind. At least put a towel over it. Even if you bolt it down and weld it if they want it theyll get it.<br>I never crank my system when at home and turn it down before i get on my street. <br><br>Im getting some nice quarter panels for the rear and gonna mount my amps behind them in the fender well. Keeps them out of sight and out of the dirt and water.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Mount inside the Tuffy Console. I have a 1/2 mile pager alarm that triggers if the box is opened (running off a remote motorcycle battery inside the box). That way I can greet the theif and provide assistance upside the head. Surrrrrprise :eek: !!!

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
I was going to make a overhead center console(high and dry) for amp(s), interior lights, some kind of fu fu mirror for the wife, and a couple speakers.....some day ::)

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Few options... Use bolts with nylon nuts (they take for fuggin ever to take off w/o power tools) Or use bolts and round the heads and nuts off so the only way to steal it would be with vise grips and alot of time. I think the center console is the best ideal.

Newt

Use hex or torx head screws. Most thieves wont be carrying tools for them around.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Carefully line it with razor blades! ;D Oh wait, they might sue you and win, forget that idea...

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Since the floor is easy access underneath. Drill your holes and come up from the bottom with Torx bolts, then bolt it on the inside with a nut and lockwasher. Even if they have the Torx bits, they probably will end up with two or three nuts spinning, and unless they have a helper, they'll have to reach under and over to undo those ;D

jasondemitri

Loc.
tacoma, wa
a buddy of mine mounted his amps under his rear seats. he actually mounted them to the seats, not the floor. that way when he removed his seat it wasnt in the way. by the way, he didnt have a bronco. it was a "4 letter word that equals less than a bronco". non the less, i think i will mount mine there.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
The torx bolts are a real good idea. Even better are inverted torx bolts. When I was a young automotive mechanic, and I saw those for the first time, I didn't know how to get them out. But I think you still need your amp under the seat where lots of air can circulate around it. If it was expensive enough for insurance to replace, it would probably get pretty hot in an enclosure. Or you could put a 12v computer case fan in the side of the enclosure.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
[quote author=ASE-73 link=board=5;threadid=12057;start=0#89144 date=1039222970]<br>Mount inside the Tuffy Console. I have a 1/2 mile pager alarm that triggers if the box is opened (running off a remote motorcycle battery inside the box). That way I can greet the theif and provide assistance upside the head. Surrrrrprise :eek: !!!<br>[/quote]<br><br>More info: My Tuffy Console has a 12v thermostatically controlled fan to keep the AMP from burning up. I also fastened the Tuffy Console to the floor with 5-point security bolts that have the nuts (inside the Tuffy Console) drilled and wired. Those babies are not coming out ... even with the right (obscure) tools.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=12057;start=0#89526 date=1039367891]<br>The torx bolts are a real good idea. Even better are inverted torx bolts. When I was a young automotive mechanic, and I saw those for the first time, I didn't know how to get them out. But I think you still need your amp under the seat where lots of air can circulate around it. If it was expensive enough for insurance to replace, it would probably get pretty hot in an enclosure. Or you could put a 12v computer case fan in the side of the enclosure.<br>[/quote]I was planning on having a fan blow out by the windshield(maybe have a switch to reverse flow in the summer to keep the heat out of the front) to act as an aux defrost......

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I put mine under the rear seat. I heard they need air to keep them cool and the rear was wide open. I put bolts threw mine and boogered up the ends of the threads so they don't unbolt. You would need two people or some VERY LONG arms to reach the top and bottom of my bolts.

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
hey Yall-<br><br>(Kudos to tha Gods and all that:)<br><br>Um- in my old 71 even IIII, the hater of ctting anything on a bronco cut the dash to accomodate my cd/cassette deck.. it's pretty small- the face flips down or comes off- so when it's up you can slide in a cd and down you can slide in a cassette and off you can hope no-one wants it without the face.. <br><br>Now that I'm working on Bella- the 73 to replace the 71- I WILL NOT cut my dash- so this discussion IS interesting to me-<br><br>But no-one said anything about puttting it in the glove box.. WhaddaboutTHAT? I wondered if I couldnt get some kind of jiggle-proof springy mount made to bolt it to that would itself, mount inside of the dash, behind the locking glovebox door.. ?<br><br>Any ideas on that?<br><br>:)<br>LuV YaLL~ A

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
My amp wont fir in the Tuffy center console either. I think I'm going to try out the torx bolts. Seems like the best way while still maintaining the air flow.

76 explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
oklahoma city
i dont have a amp in my broncos but in my old truck i used security bit style bolts to bolt it down with. ( the ones that look like torx bolts only they have a small thing sticking up in the middle so that you cant use a regular torx to remove it.) i belive i got mine at ace hardware.