• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Security System thoughts

rellimgneb

Loc.
Reno, Nv
It's probably a little late for my opinion on the alarm but I say don't do it. I have an alarm with a proximity sensor and kill switch like the origional post was talking about and I hate it. If someone looks at it wrong it goes off. If the wind blows it goes off. If a cat jumps on your bronco it goes off. If it just randomly feels like it it goes off. It is incredably annoying. I also have another kill switch and all my stereo components are theftproof. I bought the same hood lock/kill switch as the previous post that I will put in my new bronco. I'm also thinking of the removable steering wheel and maybe a basic alarm that goes off if someone opens a door. Alarms arn't foolproof but if your bronco is parked in front of your house you will hear it. I've had multiple stereo systems stolen and cd's and a whole car once so I always overdo everything when it comes to theft deterents. That's why my stupid alarm always goes off at all hours.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
SteveL said:
The thief usually knows more about the alarm than the installer. The first thing they do when a new alarm is out is buy it and take it apart. I like my brakelock that locks all four wheels with a key. It cost $100 + some labor to instal it, but when it's locked the bronco isn't moving.

.....until the thief cuts your brake lines, you loose hydraulic pressure and the wheels turn freely. Also, no lock is pick-proof.

Also, wheel dollys can be used to move it.

nightmare74

Loc.
Scottsdale
Does anyone think that a hidden kill switch could be made with a magnate? I.e. have a magnate that needs to be connected to a reciever on the dash, that unless connected, would be the disconnect... Just a hair-brained as I am up WAY too late.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
nightmare74 said:
Does anyone think that a hidden kill switch could be made with a magnate? I.e. have a magnate that needs to be connected to a reciever on the dash, that unless connected, would be the disconnect... Just a hair-brained as I am up WAY too late.
Perhaps however eventually the metal on the dash itself would become magnetized and the switch would then always stay engaged.

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
IMO the grant steering wheel removable hub is the best. It would be hard to steal a ride without a steering wheel.

Unfortunately, if they know what they're doing and they want it bad enough, their going to get it. Let's hope it doesn't happen to any of us.