• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shock Advice

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I may be looking to upgrade my shock theory on my EB. I currently have a JD 3.5" lift with front hoops and dual rear mounts. The shocks I have are JD. The ride I feel is not that good. I am sure that a real good set of shocks would also help. I also have a add a leaf in the rear which I also know has to go to be replaced with some real good rear springs.

I am looking for advice on what shocks I should use. I would probably go with only one on the front. Don't think that I would need the duals with a real good shock. What shock would you recommend? Rancho 9000, Fox, Walker Evans, Bilstien (Which model?). What about the rear shocks?

I don't do any real rock crawling, mostly trail riding and street use. I want a set of good shocks for control at moderate trail speed. Also do you think that I should think of some different front springs? I think that the JD springs are pretty good. I will probably get some eleven leafs for the back. Either national or Deavers.

Thanks for the help.

House

Minutia Militia
I, myself, would recommend a mid cost route of the 5100 series Bilstein shocks. Do a search on here and you will find a lot of people have great things to say about them. If you are going to ditch the dual setup in the front (which I would), you might as well put the F250 front shock mounts on...

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
No body lift is needed for the F250 mounts.. Find the cheapest price online then take that to your local autozone and have them match it!

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
Ive got a set of the F250 mounts that i bought brand new but never used them, they werent tall enough for me. PM me if your intrested in them.

House

Minutia Militia
BTW, 5100 and 5125 are the same shocks.
The 5125's may be easier for you due to ordering them by actual size, not application, as the application charts are for late model trucks.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I plan on keeping my hoops for now. Need to know a good valving for the 5125 shocks or any other options. Also a good place to purchase.

House

Minutia Militia
I have a single 255/70 on each corner of mine (as do most people).
You might want to go to double 170/60 IF they will fit...
Central 4WD, Kartek, Shox.com, & Offroad Warehouse to name a few places to get them.

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
rcmbronc said:
I don't do any real rock crawling, mostly trail riding and street use. I want a set of good shocks for control at moderate trail speed.

I don't think he needs the F250 mounts. Those mounts are just an inexpensive way to fit a longer travel shock; from his description of what he does with his Bronco, I doubt he needs that much travel.

The general consensus on the board is that the Bilstien 5100 series are the *best*- for the price.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
It is not that I dont need the extra travel, I just dont see how the F250 mounts will give me any more travel than my hoops will. Both top shock mount are at the top of my inner fender. With no body lift, I dont see how I could get any more.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I'm running the same set up as you but with BC Coils. My ride is very comfy and not rough at all. I would suggest before dishing out the money for shocks to try pulling one shock from the front on each side and see how the ride changes. It might be the case of coils spoiling the ride more than the shocks.
Just a thought.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I installed single 5100 series shocks with F250 mounts and have been very pleased. My bronco also has a 3.5" BC Broncos lift and the ride quality is better than stock. You don't need any more shock than this unless you do serious offroading.

Front%20Coil%20&%20Shock%202.jpg

U

Unregistered

Hey 72bronco,

What valving did you get for your 5100's? Did you put them on the rear also, or just in the front?

Thanks,
Broncotime

Baja71

Bronco Guru
I don't know if they make a set to fit EBs, but I've got some Doesch Tech 3000s on my 4.5" lifted Jeep Rubicon and I couldn't ask for a better ride. Once I put a small lift on the Baja, I will be looking for DT3000s to absorb the terrain, if possible.