• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shock Install Question

70 sport WA

Contributor
Thinking of installing some new shocks. Do I need them? Not sure...rides a bit rough and last time was 2005 (driven 15K in that time). But hey I need something to do and looking for projects.

Last time I installed shocks it was about 1994. Rears in a '73 Cutlass. Jack had a tab on the bumper, as I recall, and lifted the back end independent of suspension. Super easy even for the 20 yr old I was.

What do I need to do for a Bronco? I have two manuals: Chilton's says nothing about raising the vehicle, Haynes says "raise the front/rear of the vehicle" (and chock the opposite wheels).

I have a hi-lift jack. Never intended using it unless an emergency. Do I need this?

Input welcome.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anything works, easiest no tires on, hardest no jack everything on. Pick your poison.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Floor jack under the axle. Take off tire, replace shock, replace tire, lower floor jack, go to next corner / tire.

I would not use a Hi-Lift Jack.

JSBX

Contributor
Do a bump check on each corner of the Bronco and see how the shocks control rebound. If you decide to change shocks pull one tire off at a time. This makes it a lot easier. I would not use a hi lift jack unless that is all you have. They can be dangerous if not used properly. Use a jack of your choice under the axel housing and then block up the housing with a jack stand or some other type of block. The hardest part will be removing the shock from the mount if the bolt was over tightened and mashed the ears of the mount in. You may have to pry them apart to get the shock out.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'd avoid using hi lift if you can help it for that...

harbor freight roller ones are cheap enough

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In addition to what they said, I've literally NEVER jacked up a Bronco, or taken a tire off to change a shock at any corner.
I just get down there and undo the mounts. Sure, it's easier when you can sit comfortably in front of it without the tire in the way, but there's nothing that's so in-the-way that you can't do it with all four corners on the ground.

Paul

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Contributor
I swapped out the rear shocks today. Pretty straightforward and simple. Both had been on the rig for about 15 years and had nothing left in them. Put on a couple cheapies ($19 ea). Makes a difference.

About to do the front. Is this a stock set-up? Pretty sure not...second photo is passenger side front, with right side toward the front of vehicle. Which one is the “add-on,” the left or right one?

Attachments

• CC30C2D1-B287-45B6-A7B1-A99C6F453CD4.jpg
    CC30C2D1-B287-45B6-A7B1-A99C6F453CD4.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 55
  • D7AC4194-4D3B-4347-9346-1A71F147205B.jpg
    D7AC4194-4D3B-4347-9346-1A71F147205B.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Contributor
Hi, you can go back to one front shock and see if you like it. Good luck

That is a good option to consider. I may replace just one and see how it rides; I don’t have four new shocks to put in right now, anyway, just to show it let’s see how it rides after that. Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Contributor
I swapped out the front two (stock location) shocks. Both of the old ones were dead. Took it for a spin, seemed to ride even better but don't notice the same change as when I changed the back two. The two "extra" ones are still up front. Probably dead, too, and I'll think about what do do with those--leave them on, take them off, replace them.

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Contributor
I swapped out the front two (stock location) shocks. Both of the old ones were dead. Took it for a spin, seemed to ride even better but don't notice the same change as when I changed the back two. The two "extra" ones are still up front. Probably dead, too, and I'll think about what do do with those--leave them on, take them off, replace them.

My question: What could I put a front—replacing those two old “extra” shocks—that would help dampen the ride further, but not make it too harsh? I can imagine getting a pair made for the rear of this or another vehicle, and just making it too stiff. But on the other hand, if I could put something up that was soft and you just need the right even better I would. Or, maybe the answer is to take those two extra, old ones off (or in) and it would likely be as good as it’s going to get (without replacing the front coils)?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just take them off right now and that will answer the main question of whether or not you even need the second shocks.
Get rid of the old ones not only because they may be worn out, but also because they may actually be half-frozen and creating their own version of a harsh ride.

Paul

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Contributor
Get rid of the old ones not only because they may be worn out, but also because they may actually be half-frozen and creating their own version of a harsh ride.

Paul

Very true...will take them off tomorrow.

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Contributor
I didn't bother test-driving with the second set off...looked too bare without them there and ordered another pair. Nothing too stiff, a cheap pair (less pressurized than the ones in the back--these are eyelets at top and bottom and had to order rear shocks for the seconds up front--that would just give enough pressure to the front to help support it.

Edit: The lower mount in this second shock is integrated into the axle knuckle, like it was cast this way.

(I've owned this Bronco since 2004 and the PO since 1972 before that...his son grew up to be a mechanic while he owned it and if they were put on, there must have been as reason [or so I've reasoned].)

Took it for a test drive. Wow, now it's even better. Not so much just driving straight roads, but those stinking speed bumps in my neighborhood are so different now; tires stay on the road, even going fast, and it's so much better.

And the front second set I took offer were dead, too. Happy with the decision.

Last edited: