• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I change track bar frame mount to a 76-77?

JohnJohn

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I purchased a BC Bronco adjustable track bar with the Hemi end for my 1970 trail rig. They have not been able to ship it for a few months because they don't have the alignment shims from their supplier.
They do have the 76-77 Hemi and spacers but it would mean I would have to cut off the current mount at the frame and buy/install a Tom's Bronco Parts 76-77 frame mount.

The 76-77 track bar mount is a bit wider and uses a larger track bar 5/8" bolt vs 9/16". It would be an upgrade but would add a bit of cost and effort to my project.

I have a 220v MIG and don't mind doing the work but just wanted some opinions before I spend the extra $75 and add a couple hours to my track bar upgrade project.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It would not be an "upgrade" per sé but would simply mean you'd have to modify and tweak all the other items in your system to match it. You can't just realign the trackbar without doing other stuff too.

And since the main difference between an early and a later model is the bolt size (and design of the original bushing) why do you need a whole new bracket? Can't you just enlarge the hole to 5/8" instead?
I've never had to do that, so don't know if it's that simple or not. But I had to ask because it sounds a lot simpler than replacing the entire bracket with one that would not match the rest of your system anyway.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And could you not take possession of your BC bar and correct spherical rod-end ("Heim joint") and just source new spacers elsewhere?

Paul

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks Paul for the feedback. The 76-77 track bar frame mount is 1/8" wider where the end of the track bar goes into the frame mount than the early style ones. I have a 77 next to my 70 in my garage. It would be easy to drill the larger hole for the larger later 5/8" bolt but I would have to widen the gap and that would weaken the frame mount unless I reinforced it.
The easy path would be to just wait and go with the pre 76 bar once they get the parts in.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is your '70 going to be lifted too? If so you might be able to modify a drop bracket, or just fab up your own, to accommodate the wider end.
Maybe that's possible, maybe it's just easier to wait for the correct one. All depends on your schedule I guess. And your patience!

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
1970_Ford_Bronco_-_John_Rager.jpg

Current situation of my 70: