• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Show Me your FIBERGLASS Bronco's

ky-resto

Looking good man. I didn't realize how nice the fiberglass tubs looked! Can you hang steel doors, tailgate, fenders and grill on a fiberglass tub? Got me thinking about my own Minnesota'd Bronco body.;D

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
My old 71 with Kentrol tub. Tailgate and Windsheild frame were also fiberglass, doors were not.

What did you think of the fiberglass windshield frame? I have one the PO gave me but have been unsure about using it. How did the glass and seals work? Seems bigger than the metal in those areas.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
This is mine, only pics I have on this computer right meow. Old James Duff glass front fenders, and what i believe to be a really old Kentrol tub. Grill, WS frame, Doors, Hood, Gate etc, are all steel.

Attachments

• edit4.jpg
    edit4.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 191
  • P1010001 copy.jpg
    P1010001 copy.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 198

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I put a suspension lift on this truck. It is an OLD Kentrol body. with metal tailgate, grill, and dash. Professional paint and body work was done on it and was said to take alot to look like this. The problem the guy had with it was the rear wheel wells were differant sizes! The drivers side opening was smaller and to the rear more than the passengers so the rear tire would hit the fender. We put a complete new 4.5" suspension on it to give him more room for the 34" tires. It was odd but also a very old tub!

Attachments

• robsbronco.jpg
    robsbronco.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 164

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I put a suspension lift on this truck. It is an OLD Kentrol body. with metal tailgate, grill, and dash. Professional paint and body work was done on it and was said to take alot to look like this. The problem the guy had with it was the rear wheel wells were differant sizes! The drivers side opening was smaller and to the rear more than the passengers so the rear tire would hit the fender. We put a complete new 4.5" suspension on it to give him more room for the 34" tires. It was odd but also a very old tub!

Rob, how you been? Thought I would have seen you at the Fall Cruise. It was a great time.

See you at the Round Up.

Dave

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
How many irons do you have in the fire right now? What will you be doing with this one? Mild wheeler? Any other plans as of yet?

Good call on running a metal grille. The ugly grille is the only thing I don't like about 'glass Broncos.

OP
OP
Mono

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How many irons do you have in the fire right now? What will you be doing with this one? Mild wheeler? Any other plans as of yet?

Good call on running a metal grille. The ugly grille is the only thing I don't like about 'glass Broncos.

Paint, roll cage, 33" tires, new seat covers, rework the dash..... CraigsList ;D

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Just started up again on my 74' since sitting in my garage for 11 years.This site has been a big help with all the issues doing a fiberglass tub.
I went with steel on the inner fenders, fender aprons, and core support because I didn't like the idea of bolting radiator supports, body mounts and all the other stuff to a fiberglass core support.
Hope to have more pictures later.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 172

Heus33

Bronco Guru
What did you think of the fiberglass windshield frame? I have one the PO gave me but have been unsure about using it. How did the glass and seals work? Seems bigger than the metal in those areas.

Sorry man - just saw this pop back up.

Tom @ the bronco ranch fitted my windshield for me. From what I understand there were some issues with the way it was mounted to the cowl and overall it was 1/4" shorter than a steel windshield frame. He had to make an aluminum spacer to ensure a good fit/seal with a hardtop. The glass and seals were already in when I got the truck but they looked to be stock and didn't appear to have any issues.

charlesecarter

Loc.
Goochland, VA
How much of a pain is it to get all the electrical systems grounded? I'm looking into doing fiberglass everything, except hood, grille. What did you guys do in the electrical wiring area?

Thanks,

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
How much of a pain is it to get all the electrical systems grounded? I'm looking into doing fiberglass everything, except hood, grille. What did you guys do in the electrical wiring area?

Thanks,

It's really not that bad, especially if you are installing a new harness. I grounded everything in the rear to the frame, a good heavy ground wire to the dash takes care of that and grounding pigtails from the frame or battery for the lights in the front. You just need to remember it as you go and it will go easy. Don't skimp on wire, solder and heat shrink to make sure it's a solid installation. The only steel on my body is the windshield and dash, everything else is glass.

charlesecarter

Loc.
Goochland, VA
Do you have to ground every bulb individually, or just in the harness as it splits to log. For example brake light socket .... did you ground each bulb socket?

charlesecarter

Loc.
Goochland, VA
I am looking at a fiberglass tub made several years ago, and the inside panel near the rear fender wheels is "glassed in" solid and you cannot access the bedside area where you bolt the top's sides onto.

It is glassed on the inside of the bed, and the area above the filler neck region. And of course, the fender is on the upper outside edge.

So, you can't reach under as you would on the stock tubs to hold the nuts onto the bolts.

I am wondering if anyone who has a fiberglass tub like this could tell me how you fixed the top's mounting system at the Bronco's bedside?

I just want to know how this is mounted before I purchase the tub.

Thanks,
Charles

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I am looking at a fiberglass tub made several years ago, and the inside panel near the rear fender wheels is "glassed in" solid and you cannot access the bedside area where you bolt the top's sides onto.

It is glassed on the inside of the bed, and the area above the filler neck region. And of course, the fender is on the upper outside edge.

So, you can't reach under as you would on the stock tubs to hold the nuts onto the bolts.

I am wondering if anyone who has a fiberglass tub like this could tell me how you fixed the top's mounting system at the Bronco's bedside?

I just want to know how this is mounted before I purchase the tub.

Thanks,
Charles

Not sure if I'm exactly sure if this is the same issue but I had to cut the inside of the body on the inside of the back near the tops of the tailgate to allow me to put the backing plates on for the tailgate latch. Once I was done I made a couple aluminum covers for over the holes. For the other tailgate hardware / backing plates I utilized a very expensive hi-tech yardstick with duct tape wrapped around it sticky side out so that I could stick the part to it, shove it up there and install the bolts, once they were started I just pulled it loose.

For the mounting hardware on the top rail I put some nut-serts in the fiberglass for all my top mounting nuts, It's the last time I'll have to deal with those nuts and they can be installed blind. I have the Threadsetter tool for the rivet nuts but it only goes up to 1/4-20 but if you work at it you can use a bolt with a couple nuts and washers to compress the larger rivet nuts without shelling out $200 for the larger setting tool. That's how I installed mine, just make sure you buy extras since you'll need to practice and any you mess up you can just drill back out. Hope that helps.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Do you have to ground every bulb individually, or just in the harness as it splits to log. For example brake light socket .... did you ground each bulb socket?

Yes, every fixture that has a gound wire needs to be connected to a dedicated ground. Tail lights use the bucket for grounding so you have to ground the buckets, use a self tapping screw. All you need is a wire from one bucket or wire to the next wire, to the next wire, etc, to ground. 12 GA works good for tail and small lights, for bigger loads use dedicated grounds that are the same size as the hot wire.

patrickk1

Loc.
Cambridge
Here's my Kentrol tub.

Stretched the wheelbase 6" in the rear and 5" in the front. Three link front suspension with raised coil towers so I can run 5.5" springs on a 3.5" lift. 351w with van serpentine setup and zf 5spd/np205. Full width axles w/37" tires & 16" 8 lug wheels. It will actually sit a little lower than in the pics when bumpers/gas tank/seats are in.

60f40b1d.jpg

d54c5604.jpg

476a2ebd.jpg

patrickk1

Loc.
Cambridge
Any shots of the engine compartment? Id like to get a better idea on the core support, inner fenders, etc. Really debating on a glass tub. Might be the way to go instead of replacing all the old steel. Sounds like everybody has been happy with theirs so far.

I bought my tub already on a stock different bronco frame. If the previous owner hadn't already glassed in the inner fender wells and core support, I would have just built a tubular core support & fender structure.