• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Side mirror options?

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
I'm thinking I kind of like the windshield pillar idea; just hate drilling into my new doors!

I like these but they install on the side of the windshield/pillar not the door, which is nice when you're using trail doors...not too expensive and you can find them on several online shops

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Wow, Thank you bigmuddy, they look like they fit the contour pretty well and are attractive, but am I being too picky in saying they look kind of large? I would also paint them to match my paint, so that would help them blend in I suppose. ;)

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Wow, Thank you bigmuddy, they look like they fit the contour pretty well and are attractive, but am I being too picky in saying they look kind of large? I would also paint them to match my paint, so that would help them blend in I suppose. ;)
You can buy them without or without the light I believe. Some have installed without modification; others have said they needed to contour the base to fit the curve of the door.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I wonder if 2021 Bronco mirrors could be made to work. It looks like they mount to the cowl, so they'd have to be modified to fit the fender or A pillar. But folding electric remote mirrors would be a plus.

ford-bronco-2021-100.jpg

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
To me, its not necessarily the size of the stock square mirrors that bother me, but the location since they have to be mounted behind the vent/wing window.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet due to cost, but my choice would be converting to the one-piece glass set-up and mounting a mid-90's Ranger/Bronco II mirror on the triangle piece that replaces the vent window.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E302FQ/?tag=cbama-20

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
To me, its not necessarily the size of the stock square mirrors that bother me, but the location since they have to be mounted behind the vent/wing window.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet due to cost, but my choice would be converting to the one-piece glass set-up and mounting a mid-90's Ranger/Bronco II mirror on the triangle piece that replaces the vent window.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E302FQ/?tag=cbama-20
Jeff, I have the one piece glass in my rig but I used a TJ mirror attached to the metal filler triangle. I really like them.

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I’m with Bigmuddy. I like the FJ mirrors.

Back down memory lane, I rode in 73Stallions rig with the FJ mirrors and was impressed with how they fit and you actually had a good field of view.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
at one time people were buying the

Grote 28252-5 Black Mini-Truck Mirror​

they were mounting them vertical on the fender or horizontal on the windshield frame. then they started using the Toyota fj mirrors and regrinding the base to fit the door curve. My stock Bronco hinges are split and use 5/16" bolts and home made mirror posts mounted to the hinge pivot. The Factory mirrors suck especially if you have short legs and moving the seat up. the passengers side is pretty much useless. whatever you do before you mount permanently make sure you wind wings don't hit them.
even the square Jeep mirrors have been used and brackets made to mount them to the windshield frame. Getting a mirror and still see out of it is an art especially if you are planning to tow with the Bronco. some people have mounted a square tube accross the front of the windshield frame and slid mirrors into that. you need to go to a bronco event and see the options out there. the worst is the factory Bronco mirrors. They look half decent but you cant see anything out of them. they are placed to clear the wind wing so they are too close to you.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I use CJ style mirrors which work well, you do see the passenger one through the windshield like an old Jeep. They fold away when hitting trees or other rock like objects (mine have been tested on the trail). When I had doors I used the bigger mirrors (F150 style) as I liked the bigger field of view and the fold away aspect. So many options...
246CA35D-204D-42F1-9F7F-875D152FF0EA.jpeg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd like to see what those look like Donk, the smaller ones that is;)
Here is a composite shot. The larger painted aftermarket (Delbar brand) behind are mounted to the truck and the smaller (Ford?) is in front.
I bought them at our last swap meet from a guy who had them on his Early Bronco and who'd bought them years before from another guy that had them on his Early Bronco. They appear to have the factory style mounting pads and are perfectly angled for a Bronco. They may have been bent to fit (like I had to do on the Delbars) from another model, but they were a good fit.
The main reason I bought them was because the right side mirror is a wide angle. Back when I bought my Delbars in the mid-'80's they did not offer a wide angle passenger side model. A few years later they did, so I got a set for my '79.

IMG_9135 sm.jpg

As you can see, they're only a little bit smaller than the full-size models. Both the arm and the head are smaller.
A nice bonus as far as I was concerned was that they are the early style head with a more squared-off look. The newer ones like you saw from the factory were more rounded on the front face and though probably more "aerodynamic" on paper, don't appeal to my eye at all compared to the older style.

Paul

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Here is a composite shot. The larger painted aftermarket (Delbar brand) behind are mounted to the truck and the smaller (Ford?) is in front.
I bought them at our last swap meet from a guy who had them on his Early Bronco and who'd bought them years before from another guy that had them on his Early Bronco. They appear to have the factory style mounting pads and are perfectly angled for a Bronco. They may have been bent to fit (like I had to do on the Delbars) from another model, but they were a good fit.
The main reason I bought them was because the right side mirror is a wide angle. Back when I bought my Delbars in the mid-'80's they did not offer a wide angle passenger side model. A few years later they did, so I got a set for my '79.

View attachment 876711

As you can see, they're only a little bit smaller than the full-size models. Both the arm and the head are smaller.
A nice bonus as far as I was concerned was that they are the early style head with a more squared-off look. The newer ones like you saw from the factory were more rounded on the front face and though probably more "aerodynamic" on paper, don't appeal to my eye at all compared to the older style.

Paul
I had a similar set on one of my broncos and I seemed to recall the vibrated quite a bit which impacted visibility? Do you have the same issue?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not at all. Clear as a bell.
But the ones I’m using now have a slightly different mounting method than the smaller ones. Should not make a difference, but you never know.

I’ll let you know if and when I swap those if the view changes.

omureebe

So I've bought, but never installed, the 92-96 F150 mirrors. They're smaller than FJ, don't look so truck-y as the 80s Ford mirrors people use, but haven't figured out yet to go body color or leave as black (no chrome on the back).

Attachments

• F150.jpeg
    F150.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 16

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What color is your rig? Single body color with the white top? Or some other combination?
Sometimes body color can look great, while others it’s just too much. Sometimes matching the white highlight works as well.

Mark1911

Land Rover Defender side view mirrors, I believe it’s the defender 90 model, I have seen them on an early bronco and actually looked really nice.
They will need inner door support because the door sheet metal will never hold up.

Mark