• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Smoking battery cable? Dreaded "click" when trying to start?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting bracket behind the alternator there msweb. I see where the dipstick mounts under that bolt, but don't recognize the thicker bracket behind it. Maybe it was one of those setups where the alternator was combined with an air-pump? Normally otherwise though, the alt is bolted directly to the head, without anything else in between.

And that wire we were talking about the other day? Can you trace it to it's end sometime and let me know what it goes to? Just curious. The typical water-temp sender is in the manifold and the oil-pressure sender is over by the fuel pump. So it's got me curious.
Some other Ford engines had a temp sender threaded into the front of the block, but don't remember seeing one in a 302 or 351W before.

Thanks. Glad you got it running. Even if inconsistently!

Paul

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think , if the "click" you are hearing is the solenoid , then the switch is working ....right ?
If the solenoid is closing , it is sending power to the starter , which just isn't working.
I've seen starters act that way before. If the brushes are shot , they just don't make contact sometimes , which is why tapping starter with a hammer helps .... sometimes , the vibrations probably move the rotor just a touch and you get contact.

Now , since you have cleaned the cables , are you still getting smoky wires ?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Interesting bracket behind the alternator there msweb. I see where the dipstick mounts under that bolt, but don't recognize the thicker bracket behind it. Maybe it was one of those setups where the alternator was combined with an air-pump? Normally otherwise though, the alt is bolted directly to the head, without anything else in between.

And that wire we were talking about the other day? Can you trace it to it's end sometime and let me know what it goes to? Just curious. The typical water-temp sender is in the manifold and the oil-pressure sender is over by the fuel pump. So it's got me curious.
Some other Ford engines had a temp sender threaded into the front of the block, but don't remember seeing one in a 302 or 351W before.

Thanks. Glad you got it running. Even if inconsistently!

Paul

I have an alt/air pump bracket on my old 302 and it's nothing like that. I bet that wire is the choke to stator wire.

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Viper wins the prize, the wire is from the alternator to the elec. choke. Funny thing is, my wires are a cross between a 74 and 75 diagram both inside and outside the truck. The engine is obviously not the original or one that's been added to so who know's what's going on there.

It's fun to watch Anthony try to figure out the wiring using Seabiscuit's wonderful wiring diagrams (they really are good, seriously). I've got wires of all color combinations where they should and shouldn't be, lol ;D

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
It's fun to watch Anthony try to figure out the wiring using Seabiscuit's wonderful wiring diagrams (they really are good, seriously). I've got wires of all color combinations where they should and shouldn't be, lol ;D

I am ready to pull the entire harness out and lay it on the floor.;D %) 4,000 pink wires under the dash.%)

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
:eek: They're RED wires dang it!!!! :mad:

They just faded a bit.... :-[

Skiddy - never let him have a look at your wiring. No matter what it looks like, he's going to want to cut something and re-do it! The boy is a wyromaniac!!!!

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
:eek: They're RED wires dang it!!!! :mad:

They just faded a bit.... :-[

Skiddy - never let him have a look at your wiring. No matter what it looks like, he's going to want to cut something and re-do it! The boy is a wyromaniac!!!!

I still say pink:p

Well I would hate to see you go up in flames.:eek:

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Don't piss me off punk, I've almost decided to let you pull the harness and re-do it. I just haven't decided if I want to actually move the roll bar to move or make ya twist and contort your young punk a$$ up under the dash and do it the hard way :p