• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sorry but I have another hydroboost question

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I am doing a HB conversion but I have lost the return spring rod assembly. I have a bunch of springs laying around but none of them are strong enough to force the rod out all the way without limiting travel somehow. I have no problem coming up with a method to retain the spring and cut one of the many pushrods I have to the right length.

So the question is short of going to a junkyard and pulling one will this spring force the rod that connects to the pedal all the way out of the device? Once I know that for sure I am good to go.

I only ask because it seems like quite a stiff spring is required to get that accomplished and the pictures I have seen of them they really don't look to have thick enough coils to push it completely out.

I really don't have time to go junkyard looking tomorrow.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What spring? No spring on my hydroboost brakes and I don't remember any inside the hydro unit either.

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I assume it is required to get proper pedal return. basically what I am missing is items 34-38 in the attached. all I nee is the right weight spring and I can make the rest work with things I already have.

exploded view of 76 mercury grand marquis.

Attachments

• 0900c152800a85f9.jpg
    0900c152800a85f9.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 48

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I found a pic. Looks like this.

Attachments

• IMG_20120830_110925.jpg
    IMG_20120830_110925.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
From a long search of the internet it appears to be a part that isn't even cataloged. Someone told me to try a modern ford like a 2006 F250. That almost any HB be good even it I had to cut another rod.

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
In case anyone looks back at this or does a search because of a similar problem. What appears to be a satisfactory spring can be purchased at your local full service hardware store. A Servalite spring #50U is 3-1/2" long uncompressed and 1-1/2" compressed. It has a 15/16" outside diameter and 0.105" wire gauge. It is just strong enough to extend the operating rod all the way out with a properly size washers at each end and the tails ground flat to give it a little more clearance at full pedal.

Going to be a while before I can test it in a working system due to my work and travel schedule. I will repost if it doesn't work.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
FIND ONE? might have a warranty replacement unit that i can send you for parts