• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sound deadener?

tvall

Has anyone put insulation/sound deadening inside the doors? How does it hold up with moisture? I'm considering doing this but curious.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
I used dyna mat in my 97 f350. It worked very good. Somethings to keep in mind are you don't have to cover every inch of space to achieve the proper sound deadening effect. Also, make sure the surface is clean.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
It ended up in the lake w/ I forgot who's guns on here? ;D Interestingly I was just reading into some of the laws re: hidden compartments as I had not heard that before and well I'm a nerd paralegal ;D Very interesting indeed.

So, I guess we all need to put a label on our consoles saying "This is hollow and the lid pulls up"?

There are cars, such as recent production Dodge Darts which have hidden storage compartments built into the passenger seat bottom.
You may need to be careful when junkyarding for seats.

The sad end of a once free country.

jmeyer1971

I used hushmat and am very happy, Amazon had the lowest price. While I was installing it I had the radio going inside the truck and by the time I was finished the radio sounded noticeably different. I'm waiting for my carpet kit to come in so can't attest to road noise yet. But there is a huge difference already

Attac

Contributor
I used to build a lot of houses and had cases of the 12" wide sealant/rubber tape that we sealed the flanges of windows and sliding doors with. Looks and feels just like dynomat but sticks to anything. It would stick to concrete block as well as plywood. I have used it on all of my speaker enclosures as well as my interior panels on my bronco. At a building contractor store it came out to about 1/3 the price of dynomat.
Chuck

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
I don't have anything on my Bronco except for Durabak which really helps and has stuck well for about 13 years.
On my mustang I lined the entire inside with Second Skin
http://store.secondskinaudio.com/
My mustang got noticeably quiet and cooler. If you rap your knuckles on the roof it sounds like a $100K Mercedes. I am going to do the inside of the bronco doors and the rear wheel wells with the same stuff.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I used to build a lot of houses and had cases of the 12" wide sealant/rubber tape that we sealed the flanges of windows and sliding doors with. Looks and feels just like dynomat but sticks to anything. It would stick to concrete block as well as plywood. I have used it on all of my speaker enclosures as well as my interior panels on my bronco. At a building contractor store it came out to about 1/3 the price of dynomat.

Chuck

I've used the same stuff in the past when I had my construction company in FL but never thought about it in a vehicle. Any trouble with odor?

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I bought something similar to Dynamat from Eastwood. Put it behind the firewall insulation kit, under the mat and also in the doors. Seems to be doing good. Staying stuck to the doors. The stuff I bought looks like that stuff an earlier poster showed is at Amazon and the Amazon price is really good. I would have bought the Amazon stuff.

Regarding amount, I think I bought the 19 sq. ft. pack and did not use all of the sheets. Have lots left over. Was thinking of putting it behind my quarter panel speaker panels, but am reluctant to stick something like that to the side of the bed in case I remove the panels at some point.

asappin

I used Rattle Trap by FatMat. Good stuff and really bonds well to the vehicle

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I used Rattle Trap by FatMat. Good stuff and really bonds well to the vehicle
[/URL]

How are you (did you) cover that in the rear? Carpeting? And on the sides? I have a thick rubber bed mat right now and side panels with speakers, but was thinking about more sound deadening.

zfbailey23

I used FatMat, much cheaper than dynamat, worked great. Not sure what the price comparison is vs Noico. I used 7mm on the hard top and the 3mm I believe on the floors, doors, interior quarter panels.

Attac

Contributor
I've used the same stuff in the past when I had my construction company in FL but never thought about it in a vehicle. Any trouble with odor?

No sir. Pretty much feels and looks like dynomat. And as you know will stick to anything. I will go look at shop for a name on the roll
Chuck

TRSmith99

Loc.
Oakland
For those of you that have done the sound deadening, did it make a significant difference in reducing road noise?

Also curious if anyone has experience using the dynapad and just laying it down under carpet (on the horizontal surfaces) or using a light spray? My truck is stock and mostly original, so I am nervous about how difficult it will be to remove all of the sticky deadening adhesive down the road should I choose to do a full repaint.

http://www.dynamat.com/brands/dynapad/

I used the 3/8" thick Dynamat (may have been the Dynapad product - been about 4 years). I covered the floorboards in the front, bed, rear wheel wells, and put a strip in each door. I also installed a new set of Bronco Carpets (thanks to Tom's Bronco) over the Dynamat.

This made a HUGE difference in both noise in the cab, as well as road heat radiating from the sheet metal.

Four (+) years later and all is holding up quite well! I am very happy with the result.

In fact, I'm actually thinking of using the Dynamat to cover the hard top, and then using upholstery glue to put a "canvas" liner on it. The only thing I worry about is the weight when I am lifting/installing the hard top - that much more to lift.

T-

tvall

I used the 3/8" thick Dynamat (may have been the Dynapad product - been about 4 years). I covered the floorboards in the front, bed, rear wheel wells, and put a strip in each door. I also installed a new set of Bronco Carpets (thanks to Tom's Bronco) over the Dynamat.

This made a HUGE difference in both noise in the cab, as well as road heat radiating from the sheet metal.

Four (+) years later and all is holding up quite well! I am very happy with the result.

In fact, I'm actually thinking of using the Dynamat to cover the hard top, and then using upholstery glue to put a "canvas" liner on it. The only thing I worry about is the weight when I am lifting/installing the hard top - that much more to lift.

T-

I used the roof insulation from TBP. I also bought a stock headliner and had an upholstery shop cover it in a white vinyl. Turned out great and didn't add a lot of weight.

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
What sound deadener is everyone using ?

Wanting to line interior of my doors and rear quarters.

Dynamat is very expensive so I'm hoping there is another brand / solution ?

Severe hearing loss after a career in the military. It's cheaper than Dynamat, but a little more permanent.