• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Space behind 23 gallon tank?

brewchief

How much room is there behind a 23 gallon tank? I'm getting rid of some ugly homemade( not by me) bumpers and going back to some chrome stock ones, I would like to build a hitch that tucks behind the bumper but I know space is limited there if running a stock or 23 gallon tank. Right now I'm running a fuel cell mounted in the bed but in the future would like to switch to a more normal tank. A measurement from the end of the frame to the tank would be great.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Looks like Tom's and Duff's both make one. My '72 has a receiver hitch from before I bought it. Duff's mounts between the frame rails, Tom's mounts under the frame. Mine is more like Tom's and was on the Bronco when I bought it. Might check those out for inspiration if you're building your own. I have a 23 gallon tank too. Hope this helps...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Might also matter how much of the original frame rail gets lost when the old bumpers get removed.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you going to custom make one to fit behind the bumper, and perhaps have the receiver tube come out of the bumper? Or is exiting the tube below the bumper acceptable?
If custom making one, then no matter what I'd get the tank first. Choose a tank, or build one to your specs with enough room for a hitch and then some.

I have a hitch and an Aero 23gal tank and there is room. It does not make working on the tank easy, but nothing ever does. They play nice together, they just don't work nice together!
Pretty sure it's a Tom's hitch, but would have to go back and look at receipts.
Or just ask member 904Bronco here! ;):rolleyes:

I'll get a pic of it. Good to see it rather than imagine it, since it does hang down. If you're going to wheel this Bronco you might not like how low it sits.
It's certainly not the lowest point on the Bronco, but being where it is (low and out back) it's a factor in running obstacles.

Paul

OP
OP
brewchief

brewchief

Might also matter how much of the original frame rail gets lost when the old bumpers get removed.
Between a 4 1/2" and 7" grinder and the gas axe I got the old welded on bumper off with minimal damage, bottom frame ear had been bent up to fit some channel so needed a bit of massaging to straighten out.

OP
OP
brewchief

brewchief

Are you going to custom make one to fit behind the bumper, and perhaps have the receiver tube come out of the bumper? Or is exiting the tube below the bumper acceptable?
If custom making one, then no matter what I'd get the tank first. Choose a tank, or build one to your specs with enough room for a hitch and then some.

I have a hitch and an Aero 23gal tank and there is room. It does not make working on the tank easy, but nothing ever does. They play nice together, they just don't work nice together!
Pretty sure it's a Tom's hitch, but would have to go back and look at receipts.
Or just ask member 904Bronco here! ;):rolleyes:

I'll get a pic of it. Good to see it rather than imagine it, since it does hang down. If you're going to wheel this Bronco you might not like how low it sits.
It's certainly not the lowest point on the Bronco, but being where it is (low and out back) it's a factor in running obstacles.

Paul
Probably won't buy a tank for a year or more, right now I'd rather spend a thousand bucks on air bumps then a tank.

Bumper will be raised to compensate for body lift, hoping to have a receiver just below the bumper, old bumper had a hitch that hung down lower and probably dragged at times, 99% of use is at sand dunes so if it drags it's not an issue.

Probably won't get used much at all but would be nice to have, here in MI we can't drive non street legal vehicles the couple miles from the campgrounds to the dunes so it might get used to flat tow a side by side on occasion.