• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

speedo cable clicking - lube gear?

xfactor

Loc.
Houston
My speedo cable was/is clicking and thumping at the transfer case, I think. Thought it was a bad cable, replaced it, still doing it. I ordered a new 16 tooth gear from Jeff's to correct the speedo reading. I guess my question is; Does the gear need lube? Is there a certain way it's installed? When I replaced the cable I put the old gear back in, it looked ok, it wasn't mangled or missing teeth and it's still clicking, sometime it's pretty loud kind of a thumping. I'm sure it's the gear or cable because the speedo clicks too and I can feel and hear it in the t-case shifter.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

A&Mbronco

Loc.
Houston,TX
I've got the same problem with mine, just figured it was b/c my gearing is different than stock with larger tires and 4.10's. You might want to make sure that the cable hasnt snapped though.

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
Usually, the clicking means your cables going bad, but since you replaced it that probably rules that out. The cable will need lubrication, but I thought the reduction gear got everything it needed from the transfer case...

Does the cable make any tight turns? Does the speedo show a steady reading or does it jump around?

I would try disconnecting it from the back of the speedo for a few laps to see if the clicking goes away. It could be a worn speedo...

OP
OP
X

xfactor

Loc.
Houston
Thanks for the input, the cable doesn't make any turns, it runs between the tranny crossmember and the body, then is in a clamp beside the emergency brake cable, then up the outside firewall into the hole. About cable lube...I've heard of graphite for the cable, but something elese is goofy. I suspected the speedo itself so I'm bidding on a rebuilt cluster on ebay. I'll disconnect the cable this morning and check it.

Thanks again,
Ray