• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedometer not lighting up

norm02

The speedometer in my Bronco has not light up for a while and I’m just getting around to fixing it. The high beam light does come on when I switch my headlights to bright so I’m assuming that there’s power going to the speedometer? If this is the case, should I start with replacing the light bulb for the speedo or is there even one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Well it could be that the bulbs have failed, or that the speedo housing is not getting a good ground (unlikely since the High beam socket relies on the same ground)(maybe the 3 bulb sockets have popped out of the housing) or the the Headlight switch dimmer feature has failed in some manner.

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

Well it could be that the bulbs have failed, or that the speedo housing is not getting a good ground (unlikely since the High beam socket relies on the same ground)(maybe the 3 bulb sockets have popped out of the housing) or the the Headlight switch dimmer feature has failed in some manner.

This is probably a dumb question but how do you access and replace the bulbs?

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
This is probably a dumb question but how do you access and replace the bulbs?

From the back side of the cluster, there are several bulbs, some folks have better luck removing the air box and accessing that way, good luck

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Or the dimmer in the headlight switch is turned down or gone bad. There is also a dedicated fuse in the fuse panel just for the dash lights.

The high beam indicator has nothing to do with the gauge lights.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Check for power at the fuse first.
Power present, in the cluster.
No power at the fuse, look towards the switch.

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

Or the dimmer in the headlight switch is turned down or gone bad. There is also a dedicated fuse in the fuse panel just for the dash lights.

The high beam indicator has nothing to do with the gauge lights.

Made sure the dimmer switch wasn’t turned down and wasn’t sure if the high beam indicator at least meant that the gauge cluster had power going to it. Will check the items you’ve mentioned and thank you for the tips!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you're checking the fuse (it's the small one) make sure the headlight switch is on to at least it's first click.
As well as that, turn the knob so the rheostat is at full. This is the end right before it clicks.

Might as well take this chance to remove all of the fuses (there are only five anyway) and clean up the contact points with a wire brush or whatever you can fit into the small space.
Then replace the fuses and then check for power. This is a good practice every few years anyway, since the old contacts get a little crust on them over time that reduces the ability to pass current.

Since some of the fuses have power all the time, this is one of those cases where disconnecting the negative side of the battery is a good idea.

The bulbs can definitely all burn out. They rarely go all at once, but with such dim lighting to begin with, most don't notice it happening until they're gone altogether. Or until the new owner pays attention and starts fixing things!
You can bend yourself into a Bronco Owner Pretzel and peek up under the dash to see the lamp sockets. Should be six of them if I remember. 3 for the illumination, 2 for turn signals, and 1 for high-beams. They all use the same socket style but only the illumination lamps will have the Dark Blue w/red stripe wires going to them.

The original style of socket relied 100% on the little clips to ground the circuit to the speedometer housing. This was ok when new but became erratic over time. You might find that if you just wiggle the sockets you can get the lamps to work again. For awhile...
The nice thing about the new sockets that come with the replacement wiring harnesses is, that even though they're not all the perfect size for these holes, they have their own dedicated ground wires to each socket so erratic behavior (electricity-wise anyway) is a thing of the past.

But not many of us have re-wired an entire Bronco just to get the dash lights working again!

have fun.

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
If you cleaning the clips that hold the fuzes .. The wire brush that you run though the barrel of the 22 rifle .. Their brass brushes but if you hook them up to a little 12volt screwdriver with variable control speed . & Get it straight . It brush those clips up right nice.
My Wife came with a little electric screwdriver.. Dang she handy as Duck Tape sometimes .

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Don't forget you can access the back of the cluster by removing the fresh air duct. Just lift the hood n pop out the screws n lift her out and your looking at the back side.

Papadaddio

Hi guys, replacing my bulbs in the cluster. Does anyone know if the sockets just twist out? If not, how do they come out? I found a picture of the cluster without the bulbs in place, and the turn signal and high beam cutouts look different than the 3 gauge light cutouts. Don’t want to break more than I have to.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
They pop out. They have little springy fingers that hold them into the cluster holes.