• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

squeal noise below 4wd shifter

G

wondering if anyone knows how to troubleshoot this problem ?????
I have a 70 Bronco with standard 3 speed and after running about 20 minutes, I get a high pitch sqealing/rubbing noise as the vehicle comes to a stop. cant hear it at high speed and it goes away when stopped. It sure sounds like it is just below the transfer case shifter !!! everything is full of lube and doesnt leak. how can I track this down ?? :-

BlackHorse

Squeal noise? I would look at the drive shaft as the first suspect. Remove the rear one, drive in front wheel drive and see if the noise goes away.

adambronco74

Loc.
Northern Colorado
I had this problem too in my 74. It turned out to be the CV joint on the rear driveshaft. I checked this by putting the rear up on jackstands and running it to see if the still made the noise, then I disconnected the shaft at the transfercase and put it in drive again and the noise stopped. I just bought 2 driveshaft rebuild kits from JBG and the problem was solved.

OP
OP
G

THANKS TO ALL for your input. I will check out your ideas and hope this SQUEAL will end. :)