• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stalling/cutting out/dying in mid drive

rwiebe13

Loc.
Kansas City
I keep stalling out in the middle of the road. Was thought to at first be fuel pump relay loose wire. Fixed that. Then thought it was battery, bought new one and it worked for one day. Now I'm thinking it's alternator, but something tells me when I go get it tested it's going to be just fine. Any other ideas? Also, about 5 minutes before I will lose power my stereo will go out. I do have an amp powering it, if that helps. I have no idea!

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From the description sounds if you are loosing pwr to everything which would leads me believe that it is a GRND prob.

ENDLIFE

I agree that ground is always a safe bet to check first, but I had the same problem a while back. My problem was at the starter solenoid where everything was connected, I had one wire that was falling out of a terminal (constant hot for vehicle). If ground is not your problem, I would go buy the soldered connectors, and start replacing the old ones(haven't had a problem since).

70_Steve

Old Guy
Was thought to at first be fuel pump relay loose wire..... Also, about 5 minutes before I will lose power my stereo will go out. I do have an amp powering it,
Not a whole lot of info to go on. It would help to know how "stuff" is wired.

The reference to the fuel pump relay might imply that you have fuel injection. Also it would be helpful to know how and where the amp is powered from.

Is this stuff powered off the stock Bronco fuse box? Or is there another fuse panel? Or is it run all the way back to the battery?

Need details on the wiring.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like Steve pointed out, not a lot to go on, however my brother's rig was experiencing similar issues and it turned out to be a fusible link powering the computer IIRC...it didn't fail completely, but was enough to freak out the PCM.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like they said, more input please...
But in basic terms, a bad battery or a bad alternator are not going to just kill your engine while it's running down the road. Slowly yes, instantly? Nope.

Unless your alternator is not working, and your battery shorts out inside momentarily, I can't see that happening.
You didn't say, but it sounds like it fires back up after it dies? Does it take time, or will it fire back up right away? If it's easy to get back going, then it's even less likely to be a battery or alternator issue.

When it dies, does it die a slow death, like it's starving for fuel? Or is it instantaneous like electrical?
Do you have a tachometer? If so, next time it dies on you, grab a quick glance at the tach. If it's still reading rpm, then it's fuel or something related. If it's down to zero instantly, then it's an ignition problem.

Paul

dreg

Loc.
Winston-Salem
Help, I'm experiencing a somewhat similar issue. My 66 will run great now that I have rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the ignition coil, but after about 25 miles or so it will suddenly bog down sputter like it is starved for fuel and then starts to run well again. The other day I was left stranded after 10 miles and replaced the ignition coil. I have checked the fuel pump, fuel filters, and float level so the only thing I can think is that there is some type of electrical connection that begins to fail when it gets hot. Any ideas where I should start trouble shooting?

OP
OP
rwiebe13

rwiebe13

Loc.
Kansas City
Hey guys, thanks for the help. Turns out my issue was three loose wires at the starter solenoid and one at my neutral safety switch. She runs like a champ so I ended up giving her some new shoes.
4c5cc4fa-2570-303f.jpg

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I think new shoes as a reward for being good is a great idea. Girls do like new shoes;D