• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter Motor for ZF swap

Steve66

Loc.
Monument
Hello -
I'm trying to figure out which starter motor to use after this swap below. Any help is appreciated. I searched around for this, hopefully I'm not duplicating a FAQ etc...

My 66 Bronco I swapped the motor and transmission from 200/3spd to:
- 302 from 1991 Crown Vic EFI
- The flywheel is 50oz imbalance
- ZF-5 from F150
- Original D20 transfer case

I'm just not sure which starter I should use, if it's specific for the F150 manual transmission? And if that's right maybe I'll need to make wiring changes to work with the 302 EFI..

Thanks a lot -
Steve

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. when i did my ZF swap, i got a starter from the same year as the trans. linking to EFI or stock wiring in my mind is the same (could be wrong) as its just a trigger wire from the ignition switch. the key is to makes sure that starter and flywheel are both from manual trans.

hank

OP
OP
S

Steve66

Loc.
Monument
Thank you Hank -
I appreciate it. Don't want to chew up the flywheel with the wrong starter...

I was reading about the throwout gear getting stuck in other swaps and mostly worried about wrecking the flywheel with a bad fit..