• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting a motor on a rolling chassis

Miker

Bronco Guru
How would someone get a motor started that's sitting on a chassis the auto tranny in park. No key cause no dash, you get the idea. I'd like to keep this motor fresh inside and cycle some hot oil and anti freeze through it every once in a while. I'm sure there is a way to do this "relatively" safely but I don't have a clue. Can someone help me out?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What kind of ignition? Real easy to do with points. 12V to coil+, 12V to starter solenoid "S" to engage the starter. Pull the 12V to coil to turn it off.

70_Steve

Old Guy
What kind of ignition? Real easy to do with points. 12V to coil+, 12V to starter solenoid "S" to engage the starter. Pull the 12V to coil to turn it off.
Hmm... Boosted a car or two in your time, eh?:eek: ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru

X2 all you need is power to the ignition then power up the starter As well as a fuel source. simple as pie I've started engines sitting on the ground before just to make sure they ran.

ehumaui

I'm made a test panel with a remote test switch with gauges.
Worked great. Ask dirtdonk.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Considering how many I've started on the shop floor while sitting on wood blocks.....:p

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Here's what I do... I can do either FFord small blocks or SBC...:cool:

IMG_0407.jpg

72Sport

Bronco Guru
It has to be easy mounted in a frame. I bought an Olds engine for my Model A when I was in high school. Got a gallon can of gas, battery and the garden hose and started it up on the lawn. It started right up. Hit the throttle a little and it took me for a ride. My Dad heard it and came outside and asked me what I was planning on doing with it. That was the end of the Olds engine. He suggested I get it out of the yard and back to where I got it NOW!

Last edited:

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
It has to be easy mounted in a frame. I bought an Olds engine for my Model A when I was in high school. Got a gallon can of gas, battery and the garden hose and started it up on the lawn. It started right up. Hit the throttle a little and it took me for a ride. My Dad heard it and came outside and asked me what I was planning on doing with it. That was the end of the Olds engine. He suggested I get it out of the yard and back to where I got it NOW!

Did he not like the Olds engines?;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Hmm... Boosted a car or two in your time, eh?:eek: ;D

First engine I ever hotwired was in highschoold auto shop. CJ5 that was brought in but the key got lost. It sat for a few months then they said they lost the key. So while the teacher was off doing something else I pulled a little speaker wire out from under the seat, wrapped one end around the ballast resistor post and the other ends to the battery positive post. then jumped the solenoid. got it running then the teacher showed up. He was not too impressed that I was teaching a how to hotwire cars behind his back. He also moonlighted as a police officer in nearby Prarie Village:eek:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would recommend if it has no radiator fluid and is just sitting, leave it till you really want to run it. A dry motor can sit for years as long as you keep preservative in the cylinders, but if you hit the cooling with fluid and let that sit, now you risk messing up your water pump and leaking into the motor as things dry out.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Take the plugs out, squirt in some ATF and spin it over with a ratchet on the crank. put the plugs back in.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
tried this

Okay, went out to the rig and tried this, I took my remote starter and put it on the selenoid on the positive side and then on the little terminal. While a I sprayed some starter fluid into the carb, she was firing up. However, I could not get it to idle and I kept dumping the spray to it to keep it runing. The most I could keep it running for was about 5-6 seconds. My question is, If I let off the trigger from engaging the starter, would that shut her down? I am not sure if my jets in the carb were just dropping gas into the intake. I got a little fire from the carb that I had to smother out. So, I'm not sure if my remote starting is the problem or my carb. Or,,, ME,,
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 15

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Hard to say did you fill the fuel bowl with fuel? Do you have power to the coil? probably need to run a wire directly from the battery to the coil to keep it running you should have a resistor in that line as well to keep full voltage from burning up the coil but you should be ok if your just going to run it a few minutes.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
did not fill the fuel bowl, where would i run the wire from the + terminal on the battery to which point on the coil??