• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

starting problems when hot

nate213

Loc.
West jordan, Utah
i have a 66 bronco with a 302 motor. starting at cold temperatures are fine. after driving for a while and the engine gets to 210 degrees, it won't start after i turn it off. if i let it sit for a while it will start up just fine. does anyone know what possible problems could be causing the starting issues?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
find the search tab above and try "heat soak", or "hard start warm". there is alot of talk about this every summer. Sometimes is gas boiling out of the bowl. Might need rubber lines up to the carb or a plastic carb spacer instead of the aluminum one. Im not real sure just remember alot of talk about it last month. Sometimes the starter gets so hot it spins too slow?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
i have a 66 bronco with a 302 motor. starting at cold temperatures are fine. after driving for a while and the engine gets to 210 degrees, it won't start after i turn it off. if i let it sit for a while it will start up just fine. does anyone know what possible problems could be causing the starting issues?

Describe the symptoms. Does it crank or not? Does it crank and not fire?

markperry

Bronco Guru
I was having the same issue: I would drive it around 30 miles or so, shut it off, then go out and try to start it and it would take a while but once it started black smoke would come out of the tailpipes.

After reading quite a few posts I realized the gas was probably boiling in the carb. I just put a phenolic spacer on it and no more slow starts and no more black smoke. This is the spacer I bought http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/15490/10002/-1

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
Had the same problem when I first got my Bronco. Many thought it was gas boiling in the carb or fuel lines too close to the headers causing vapor lock.

Ended up my Distributer was garbage with the condenser fried. Swapped out to an Pertronix Flame-thrower Distributer and a Flame-thrower ll coil....runs solid now and no more starting issues after its hot.

John

OP
OP
nate213

nate213

Loc.
West jordan, Utah
it hasnt gone over 210. once i start it up after it reaches that temp, the starter will keep turning with no engine fire. i might try a thermostat with a lower temp.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
If you're sure you have no fire meaning no spark at the plugs, My guess would be the coil is bad.

I've had the same issue with not starting when hot. It was a combination of "slow" stater and flooding issue. Over time my started had gotten weak and I didn't noticed it was turning very slowly. I would get in and hit the gas and starter and it would flood. Than all it would do is crank and carank and crank till it cooled off then would fire right back up.

I changed the started (it finally went completely out) and rebuild the carb and havn't had any ore issues. You don't know how bad/slow a starter is till you get a new one. Man what a difference it made.......

If it stays are 210 and don't get hotter, I woudn't worry about it.......it's not that hot.

Tim

nobodysfool

Loc.
wheatfield,new york
what about timing.advanced to much it will heat up fast and will not start until it cools down.problem i have is mine starts when hot but is sluggish hit the gas pedal couple times and its fine.i run a 190 deg stat it rarely goes over that.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Sometimes when the weather is hot I'll have to crank a bit to get it to restart. What's happening is the fuel is boiling, running into the intake, and flooding the motor. I've added a carb spacer and defeated the exhaust heat riser in the intake manifold and it's helped a lot. When I restart on a hot day I try to remember to give it a bit of throttle while cranking. BTW, that's what Ford recommends anyway.

Attachments

• Starting Bronco.jpg
    Starting Bronco.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 21

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
hard hot starts

When this happens to my bronco, it means I need to change the power valve in the carburetor. That cures the problem every time. ...But then again I'm still running a stock engine and motorcraft 2100 carb...