• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting to question the future availability of Explorer parts

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I have been pretty excited about jumping on the Explorer bandwagon with the potential to alleviate the dwindling Mustang parts inventory and provide much needed relief when trying to source parts at the junkyards.

Spent the last two days and souring 12 yards in Charleston, SC simply looking for an Explorer alternator. My results were dismal; not a single alternator in this town. A couple years ago the choices were plentiful and I had my pick from many V8 Explorers.

Is anyone else running into this issue or is this isolated.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Most of the yards around here have started pulling alternators for cores or recycling. There are a lot of guys that have made a business of stripping vehicles at the yard and hocking the parts on ebay. The Explorer parts have become very popular for us as well as the Mustang and many other ford car crowds.

I don't think there will be a shortage anytime soon. Ford made millions of the Explorers. There may be a shortage of cheap pick n pull parts but any parts store will have no problem getting you one.

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
What broncodriver99 said. The old approach to salvage yards is becoming harder to come by these days. Now they are all proactive and are actively trying to sell parts. There are a couple around me that even keep inventory on a computer.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Maybe building a Bronco with Bronco parts will be the new bandwagon.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I agree that the 5.0 Explorers will be getting harder to find. Most in this area are all 4.0's. However, salvage yards have been using the tele-type or have been interconnected for years now. It is a business that won't soon go out of business...

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Maybe building a Bronco with Bronco parts will be the new bandwagon.
inconceivable.jpg

That's just crazy talk.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Im just starting to see the explorers hit the yards in good numbers. A few years back they were rarely seen. Last weekend I saw 3 was really considering pulling one of the engines but I think Id rather have a 351.
Dont know for certain but I believe they use the same alternator on the 4.0. While I know Junkyard stuff is cheaper its also a gamble why not just get one from a parts store?