• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering bell to u-joint

Jonathan_Cole

I'm considering replacing the bell joint on my 66 with a 3/4-36-3/4dd u-joint. What do you do with the t that's in the shaft? Press it out or leave it in and grind it flush?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I pressed mine out. However, I also put a second joint in the center of the shaft due to installing a body lift at the same time. With two u-joints, I had to shorten the one piece shaft in order to account for the extra length of the two u-joints.

Some of your decision will likely depend on how you're connecting the U-joint to the shaft. DD end, drill a hole through both, or somehow using a splined coupling. If drilling a hole, I'd think pressing it out would make the most sense because your hole is already in the shaft and you'd only need to drill the u-joint. If going DD, grinding the pin flush when grinding the two flats would seem to make the most sense. Just my $0.02

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is this factory manual steering still? Or a later power box?

pocketlock

Contributor
Personally, I just cut the T at the end off since I needed to shorten it at least that amount to fit the new universal joint at the end. Ground my DD end into it and slapped it all together. I still need to take it apart and shorten it just a little more, but for now it will be fine. I ordered my universal joint on amazon to try and save a few bucks vs what some of the vendors were charging. Feels good so far, but we'll have to see how it feels on the trails.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nope. Some other non-bronco Ford’s do use the bell/tulip joint with power steering. But I’m pretty sure Justin‘s comment was pointing out that when Broncos went to power steering, they got rid of the bell, and went to a U joint plus a rag joint.
Although, I suppose it’s possible that some late 72 or early 73 broncos still had the bell, every one I remember seeing had the later style U-joints.
At the same time Ford changed the input spline shaft from the common 3/4 x 36 to the unique-to-Broncos 13/16 x 36 shaft.
Possibly as a restriction to keep people from retrofitting?
Seems like the kind of stuff Ford likes to do.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
PocketLock that's sounds like what I did.. about 20 years ago. I think my worst moment was that new U-JOINT Cost like $75.00+ even then. I remember thinking I had to work 2 weeks just to afford that Joint .