• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering box rebuild cost??

vtboy51

I've got an original manual steering box on my '68, it's got a fair amount of play in it and now it's leaking fluid. I would like to do the power steering upgrade at some point, but was hoping to save some $$ up first. How much to rebuild an old manual box typically?

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I'll add to this question, who is the best at doing it?

Rebuilt from vendors run $200 after getting $200 back for your core.

latrucker

Contributor
West Texas Off-road did mine a few months ago. Around 200 bucks and was very pleased with the service. Good people to deal with and easy to talk to. Haven't installed it yet so can't give any info on how it performs but it feels much tightet just moving it by hand so I would think it has to make some kind of difference. All in all, very pleased.

OP
OP
vtboy51

vtboy51

Just spoke with West Texas off-road, and it would be $160, plus shipping both ways. Turn time would be 2-3 weeks, and an interesting side note, they do about 1 manual rebuild for every 100 power rebuilds. Sounds like very few are keeping the manual ones around. So now the question is, do I pay $200 ($400-$200 core return) from a vendor to get a rebuilt one or have mine rebuilt... thoughts?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
When I first bought my Bronco nearly 20 years ago, it had a very loose manual steering box that I decided to replace with a "rebuilt" one from Autokrafters. The "rebuilt" box had nearly as much play as my original box, then when they got my old one back, they told me it had issues and only gave me $25 of the core back. After taking out the cost of shipping to them, I essentially got $9 for my core plus ended up with a "rebuilt" box with as much play as the one I sent in.

Get your existing one rebuilt and don't take the same chances I did. I've never given Autokrafters another dime and have told this story many times on this site over the years.

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Does anyone know who rebuilds the boxes JBG is selling? I have no problem going with west Texas, but I'd rather not have the bronco down for a month waiting for the rebuild. I'll put up with the slop until it's stored for the winter and do it then.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I got here a litle late to the party...
But If you wanting just a Manuel. Then Just post up & ask us member to give you a box.
Most can't give them away & a lot get thrown away.
.. So Just run a few post in the parts wanted section. Someone will either give you one or maybe charge you 25 bucks & shipping .
... When I did mine I needed my stock P/S box rebuilt . Granted it was about 10 years ago . I believe mine cost me $165.00 PSC..
.. I was about the 1st one on here to use them.
Now I need a 2nd box built for the next project.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Just spoke with West Texas off-road, and it would be $160, plus shipping both ways. Turn time would be 2-3 weeks, and an interesting side note, they do about 1 manual rebuild for every 100 power rebuilds. Sounds like very few are keeping the manual ones around. So now the question is, do I pay $200 ($400-$200 core return) from a vendor to get a rebuilt one or have mine rebuilt... thoughts?

WTO will do it right for ya.. Say go for it