• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering stabilizer question

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I just noticed my steering stabilizer is loose. It rattles in place when I shake it. I'm not sure how long it's been like this, but I wanted to know can I continue to drive my bronco while I wait for one to be delivered? Is this something I can purchase locally NAPA, O'Rielly?

I really hate not being able to drive my baby. :cry:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Yes you can.
A little steering wheel shimmy may rear it's ugly head but probably not.
You may just need the bushings. They live at an awkward angle in eb's and get pretty smahed.

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes you can.
A little steering wheel shimmy may rear it's ugly head but probably not.
You may just need the bushings. They live at an awkward angle in eb's and get pretty smahed.

Thanks bronconut. I'd better post a photo then, just to make sure I purchase the correct part.

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
More than likely if it rattles, the rubber/urethane bushings on each end are worn bad or completely gone. It won't hurt anything to drive it like this. And, depending on the condition of the rest of your steering components, tire size,proper alignment, and whether your Bronco is lifted or not, it may not be needed at all.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
If you decide you need one you local parts store should have them. Like Steve I have ran a bronco before with out one with no issues.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Took mine off when I rebuilt the steering and it drives just fine. If everying in the steering is in good working order, I see no reason to run one. Before my rebuild, it drove like crap with and without the stabilizer.

JMO, Tim

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The stabilizer is used to reduce shock on the box and column.
It is also a safety measure in the event of a blow out.
Tim is right though. If your tires are balanced, alignment righteous, and steering linkage is tight you don't technically need one at all.

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. Looks like the bushings are the problem, but I have no idea how old the stabilizer is, so I'll replace it all. At least I can continue to drive, that's great news.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I ripped a mount off the frame once. Only noticed it on the trail where the steerng wheel would try to violently turn at times. Been down the same trail many times before and many other trails and stuff would make the steering wheel turn, but never violently. Ran it on the street for nearly a month until I had time to rebuild the bracket. I think of it as a steering box saver. $60 steering damper to save a $600 steering box

It should only be there to dampen out violent steering wheel movements.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The stabilizer is used to reduce shock on the box and column.
It is also a safety measure in the event of a blow out.
Tim is right though. If your tires are balanced, alignment righteous, and steering linkage is tight you don't technically need one at all.

I guess it depends on where you live. Of course running without one won't hurt anything in the short term but if you live here in NewEngland and are subjected to crappy roads on a regular basis it can sure help minimize component wear.

GRN_MEANIE

All the stabilizer does is mask other issues that you may have. Properly set up steering doesn't need it. I ran 37's and never used one.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
All the stabilizer does is mask other issues that you may have. Properly set up steering doesn't need it. I ran 37's and never used one.

Not true. They do make good system protectors. They should not be used as a fix for shimmy or the like, they will not make steering easier. All they should ever be used for is to protect the steering box from impact shock. Yes, many people never run them. A lot of people have also beaten steering boxes to death and cracked frame rails as well.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I would see if you can tighten it up a lil more till the new one comes. Just shimmy it. Mine was loose and I added a few washers to it inside the bushing. It made it a lil tighter till a new Duff stabilizer came in the mail.