• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

STEERING STABILIZER

BOCEPHUS BRONCO

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A STEERING STABILIZER FROM JEFFS BROCO GRAVEYARD FOR MY 1966 ; HOWEVER, AFTER INSTALLATION , THE STABILIZER DOES NOT CLEAR THE DRAGLINK?
HAS ANYONE EVER HAD ANY DIFFICULTING WITH SUCH A SUPPOSEDLY SIMPLE TASK?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is your stabilizer shock mounted with the body side up against the frame and the shaft over at the draglink end?
That’s how it’s supposed to be, and if the body is over by the draglink I could see how it might interfere.
Or if the draglink mount is twisted that might do it too.
We might need to see pictures of what you’re dealing with to help correctly.

What Mad said is correct about it not being absolutely needed, but there should be nothing keeping you from running one either.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another reason for seeing pics, is to see just which type of steering linkage you have. Is it stock? Stock AND original? Aftermarket upgrade? Modified brackets?
Any of these might have something to do with the parts not fitting properly.

Paul

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm in the not needed crowd. Took mine off ages ago when l upgraded to disc brakes and got my steering all sorted out.

I saw it in my parts stash last week and it crossed my mind to put it back on just to clear up some shelve space

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are a lot of mis-understandings about the steering damper. If you are putting one on to try and fix a shimmy, you are not fixing the problem and probably not even hiding it very well. It's not power steering, won't make the steering any easier. Nor should a properly installed one make the steering any more difficult.

It is a damper. It arrests spike inputs. I remember reading an article from the 60s where ford was putting them on as factory equipment because impacts were flattening the needle bearings in the steering box. Considering the price of a good steering box these days, cheap insurance. It also take those impact loads away from the frame where the steering box mounts to, reduced chances of frame cracking. Those are all wins.

So you took it off and never noticed it was gone. That is entirely possible. I broke the frame side bracket one weekend and never noticed it on the street. It was only off-road (rocky AZ trails) where one front tire would clip a rock where I would notice it. For me, it was a violent spin of the steering wheel that didn't exist with the damper working. Not that it would stop the spin of the steering wheel, just reduce the violence of it. I liked my steering box, I wanted it to live, so I fixed the broken bracket.

Going to a larger steering box, say the 4x4x2, it probably has enough hydraulic ram inside to dampen the inputs to the steering wheel. But they are still hitting the frame rail.
The one place I would call a steering damper a misplaced accessory is if there is ram assist. The steering ram will take the impact load before it gets through the linkage and up to the box.