• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering wanders all over the place?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am trying to figure out why i can't keep it in the road. This '74 has a Duff's 2.5" lift. Coil springs and the track bar drop bracket too. Anyway, it is hard to keep it straight. It wanders to the left and right. If you hit a bump doing highway speeds you don't know which way you are gonna have to counter steer to keep it in the middle. Any hints???<br><br>Thanks Much,<br><br>Blue71

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
What degree C bushing you have on it? It should be 4 or 7 maybe better.

ford67bronco

Loc.
Wisconsin
Check the bushings, mine were shot when I first bought it and it was impossible to keep from wondering, made a world of difference with new bushings, also check the tie rod ends to make sure they are tight.<br><br>good luck

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Always the first thing to look at is the track bar bushings. Lay under the rig while someone rocks the steering back and forth and see where the play is.Second,look at the tie-rod ends and the drag link.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Things to check, in the order I'd check them:<br><br>1. Bump steer. This is the track bar and drag link moving in different planes than one another. Correct by making them parallel with each other.<br>2. Caster. If you can't drive around a corner and release the steering wheel, and have it return to center on its own, then your caster is incorrect, usually too little. Correct with C-bushings.<br>3. Alignment. Too much toe in will cause the front wheels to follow the road ruts. Align it.<br>4. Loose spindles nuts. Tighten them.<br>5. Ball Joints. Check and replace if necessary.<br>Joe

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Wandering would be:<br>1) Upper track bar bushing<br>2) Bad Ball joints<br>3) Not aligned<br>4) loose steering box<br>5) wrong caster

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
put the front end up on jack stands. Then get under there and see what's loose. Get new trak bar bushings while your at it. I always keep a set on the shelf. They like to wear out

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. I see some play in the drag link bushings. I can twist the drag link a little by hand, to and fro. Should it move a little or should it be <br>non-moveable by hand? You really have to twist it to get movement, but it will move if you try and rotate it.<br><br>Thanks Much<br>Blue71

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The drag link movement sounds O.K. Joe and Steve covered about everything. I will add check the toe in and check that the steering box is centered

rstgermaine

This may sound obvious but don't forget to check the track bar bracket where it attaches to the frame. A long time ago I bought a '76 for parts because that bracket had ripped off the frame making it undriveable.

dksroland

Loc.
springfield, mo.
When I bought my EB the guy had replaced the bushings in the front end because of wandering.<br>However , after test driving it I knew there was still a problem.The darn thing would run true then all of a sudden change freakin lanes on me. After I got it home I started looking at all the bushings and such and happened to notice that the C bushing clamps had at least 1/4 '' on one side and almost that much on the other to go before they contacted each other totally. I took all that apart and retightened the clamps untill all was tight and snugged together. That solved the problem. When replacing the C bushings he hadn't gotten the parts tight enough.<br>Just a little slack can make a huge difference.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
One final minor thing is the power steering U-joint (assuming it's p/s). It's a Spicer 5-92X. Made a huge difference on mine but not "lane change" amounts. <br>Mike