• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering wheel and shaft turns, box does not.

BigB

Hi,

Like the title states my steering wheel/shaft freely spin right up to the point of entering the steering box. And the box doesn't respond.

It's a manual box. This first happened over the weekend and luckily I was just on my property and hardly moving. Then steering came back and I just parked it.

Back to it today and steering was there for a minute and now gone again. I guess it has given up the ghost from turning 37's?

turbotim2

Personally, I would not risk using that box without it being rebuilt as you are probably right regarding it's ghost.

OP
OP
B

BigB

Personally, I would not risk using that box without it being rebuilt as you are probably right regarding it's ghost.

Well that goes without saying but doesn't tell me why or what may have happened.

OP
OP
B

BigB

So I noticed that it was at full lock this just happened and the pitman arm was against the tire and I can see rub marks where it has been touching.

I jacked up the front and turned the wheels straight. As they came straight I saw the shaft start to turn and had steering back. Was able to drive it back to it's parking spot.

I was looking to do the 4x4x2 box and now it will be sooner than later. How do I keep the tires off the pitman arm so it doesn't potentially ruin the new box?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Maybe tighten the U joint connection at the box? Maybe the splines on the box shaft are stripped?

Tim

turbotim2

So I noticed that it was at full lock this just happened and the pitman arm was against the tire and I can see rub marks where it has been touching.

I jacked up the front and turned the wheels straight. As they came straight I saw the shaft start to turn and had steering back. Was able to drive it back to it's parking spot.

I was looking to do the 4x4x2 box and now it will be sooner than later. How do I keep the tires off the pitman arm so it doesn't potentially ruin the new box?

You'll have to set the knuckle stops so that they stop before your pitman arm contacts the tire.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is the possibility too, that it won't hit with a new box.
The original manual box pitman arms were oriented to the driver's side, whereas most of the power steering arms are oriented straight back when in the center position. This might be just enough to keep it from hitting the tire.

Only one way to find out though...
Once you see it's still hitting, it's time for those steering stops.
Sounds like your tires are fairly well tucked in or the arm would not be anywhere near them I wouldn't think. Another measure would be to install 1" wheel spacers.

But try the new box and arm first. Make sure the box is on-center when the tires are pointed straight, then go from there.

Paul

OP
OP
B

BigB

Thanks for the replies guys.

Paul,

Your Extreme duty steering kit 2004 seems like a hell of a buy when I look at other vendors kits as well as your own, which don't include the ram. What am I missing?

I even spoke to west texas and he looked at it and couldn't come close. I have read and it also looks like psc supplies the kit, is this correct?

I have also seen mentioned that if you run ram assist it takes a lot of pressure of the frame where the box mounts and then perhaps you don't need to strengthen the area?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, that's the whole point of a ram-assist anyway. It's the benefit of ram strength (and added leverage), but without losing the "feel" of a directly connected steering box. And without losing the street legality of a box either.

The 4x4x2 box used in the kit is one of the better options as far as big-tired Bronco steering goes. It doesn't hurt to reinforce a frame when overbuilding a Bronco, but this definitely takes a ton of that normal stress off.

And while even the other (Brand Spanking New) power steering kits are great, your 37's (with manual steering even!!!) are at that turning point in size where the bigger box has advantage again.
Not that a non-ram setup can't work with your tire size of course. Lots of people here doing that, but the extra ooomph can be a good thing for sure.

I'm pretty sure it's a PSC pump at least, but not sure about the rest of the components.

It's all pretty straightforward too. The most time consuming part of the install is choosing the best location and positioning of your ram and attachments. Every Bronco is different comes into play again, if your steering linkage is custom or you have a hidden winch, less suspension lift, or whatever other modifications already.
But generally speaking, for a normal linkage setup you don't have to get too creative. Just weld-n-go as long as you think it through carefully to make sure nothing is going to hit something else.

Paul