• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stereo/amp power and ground wires to battery.

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
I've installed a Kenwood Bluetooth Power Sports Amp
-45W RMS X 4
-will only be running 2 100W RMS speakers.

Have not wired to battery or installed in line fuse yet.

What gauge wires are you guys running (or do you recommend) from battery to amp?

It comes pre wired with what looks to be about an 18 gauge wire from the factory but that looks awefully small.

Thanks!!!!

NYLES

Bronco Guru
18...................its only 45 watts wait till you see the wires on fitech looks like fishin line!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
What is "input amperage" or "input wattage" stamped on the amp?

That will tell you what the amp uses/draws for power.

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
I bought a kit off amazon a while back when I did mine came with the power cable, remote wire and the fuse. Think I went with 6 or 8 gauge on mine.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Quality 10 gauge would be plenty for that set up.

Get a good 10 gauge short ground to the chassis as well.

Make sure your battery is well grounded to the chassis as well.

DO NOT USE THE WIRE AT THE PART STORE. GET SOME FINELY STRANDED WIRE.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Supposedly it only pulls 15amps max. but Ditto the 10 gauge you might get by with 12gauge but the farther from the battery you are the bigger the wire you should have. I think they figure that most people will put them close to the power supply and that's how they get away with 18 gauge.

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I always prefer going over board on wire since its cheap and I hate electrical problems. With that little amp I'd go 8ga which might be a little over board, but the cost is cheap enough for 8ga wire where you might as well do it right

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
And as bronconut said, you need a short ground wire of the same thickness.... That is equally as important as the power wire.

It's 45 watts x4 channels which is almost 200 watts so yes just go 8ga

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I still don't get the "short ground wire" comments. Talked to an EE at work whose hobby is home stereo amps and though its a little outside of his forte' he didn't get it either. Sure like to see a reason beyond the anecdotal "because that's how the pro's wire them".
Until then I'll run the same gauge as power amp ground wire back to the battery.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
And as bronconut said, you need a short ground wire of the same thickness.... That is equally as important as the power wire.

It's 45 watts x4 channels which is almost 200 watts so yes just go 8ga

So help me to understand this tho: What is the purpose of an 8 or 10 gauge wire from the battery to the in-line fuse if the power wire from the fuse to the amp is 18 gauge? The fuse-to-amp power wire and the ground wire are hard wired to the amp by Kenwood at the factory.

That's really what's throwing me off. Otherwise I'd run 8 ga and be done with it.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Brandon use the same size.............You should be done with this!

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
So help me to understand this tho: What is the purpose of an 8 or 10 gauge wire from the battery to the in-line fuse if the power wire from the fuse to the amp is 18 gauge? The fuse-to-amp power wire and the ground wire are hard wired to the amp by Kenwood at the factory.

That's really what's throwing me off. Otherwise I'd run 8 ga and be done with it.
View this: http://www.ancorproducts.com/en/resources/three-percent-voltage-drop
As the length of the run increases so does the minimum required wire gauge for the same amperage. Otherwise the voltage will drop and things like amps and radios don't like that. Note that the length of the circuit is NOT the length of both wires, it is the power path distance plus the ground path distance.

NYLES

Bronco Guru

There isn't! use the same size as whats on it, watt's are not AMP's

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Watts = Volts X Amps. All electrical devices are inefficient, so they draw more amps than they put out. That is why the rated input amps is important. If too small of a wire is used the voltage drops and the unit pulls more amps to get to it's rated output. That will make it run hot and die an early death.

So back to nvrstk's question, what are the input watts or amps?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
What is "input amperage" or "input wattage" stamped on the amp?

That will tell you what the amp uses/draws for power.
ya know, we could give better advice if you'd just answer this question. If you can't then I'll quit wasting my time.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Watts = Volts X Amps. All electrical devices are inefficient, so they draw more amps than they put out. That is why the rated input amps is important. If too small of a wire is used the voltage drops and the unit pulls more amps to get to it's rated output. That will make it run hot and die an early death.

So back to nvrstk's question, what are the input watts or amps?

I'll have to check when I get to the house but I'm I think I got it sorted out.

Thanks for the input gents!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Thanks Tom! : )

Think of wiring and all the connections as a CHAIN...the smallest diameter, the crappiest crimp, the bad mechanical joint, the cold solder joint, IS weakest link of the CHAIN. IF you have any of the above the "CHAIN" will break...or in your case possibly start a fire!

Back to my question even tho you will be safe with 8 gauge wire, what is the INPUT wattage of the amp? From this, all other questions can be answered.

Good luck.

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I've been wiring up car audio since I was a kid. You hook a long ground wire all k the way to the battery if you want, but that's not the right way to do it and you might get a whine from your amp that you'll get tired of real quick... your ground needs to be the same thickness as your power cable and ground to a good ground (like your chassis) as close to your amp as possible. Trust me