• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stereo amp/sub question...Audio guru's

firefighter2134

Loc.
lincolnton, nc
you should have a blue wire on back of your head unit for remote. you run that wire to your remote spot on your amp to power on amp when radio is on. and when radio is off amp will turn off. i would suggest running at least 6 guage fused wire from your battery to + of amp. maybe a 50 amp large fuse will work. definately 4 to 6 guage ground wire. the thicker your positive and ground wires the better the performance of the amp. and you want to keep your ground as short as possible. less interference. but as far as a 400 2 channel amp that would push 2 10 inch subs and have a good quality sound or you could bridge it and power a 12 inch sub. and for ported vs unported vs open boxes. its a personal preference. what type of sound do you want? i had a competition ported setup in a toyota tacoma 200x2 kicker amp with kenwood 12" sub and it was just plain nasty. now i am after good quality sound. so i still have the same setup but went with a basic box just to give low punch with my sound and it drives the bass really good.

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
well you shouldnt need cross overs if your amp has them. It depends on the speakers but some come with unadjustable crossovers. You can buy after market ones that go in line. A lot of headunits have crossovers also. Some are more tuneable and some are in the form of bass, treble, and mid range. For example these speakers come with crossovers http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB6501/Polk-Audio-db6501.html?tp=106
But you may not need crossovers. What you need to do before you buy any type of sound processer is buy and install everything you originally planned on then listen to it and adjust it then turn it up and if your component speakers are producing more bass then you like then adjust the bass down and fiddle with it for awhile. Theres a good chance you can get em to sound great without a crossover. crossovers adjust the frequencies of sound played by the speakers

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
Long story short if you are turning your music up so loud that your sub is playing your bass really well but your 6.5's are distorting then you need a crossover.

firefighter2134

Loc.
lincolnton, nc
use your 6.5s for what they are intended for. mids and highs. the sub will carry all the bass you need. i havent seen a sub amp on the market that doesnt have a built in crossover and as long as it is run with rcas then the sub shouldnt get any highs run through it and you can set your head unit to tune more treble through your componet speakers and let amp and sub carry the bass.also if you want a little more pump from that amp and if you are only running one sub you can always bridge it and prolly get about 480 watts outta it. what type of sub are you looking at?

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
if your running the amp to the subs only it should have a crossover built in but only newer head units have a crossover for the head unit power (the power coming out of the head unit) in your case. the capacitors are very small tube looking,, mount them as close to the speaker, just crimp them inline with the speaker wire.

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
i have 2 small amps under the seat but thinking about moving them so i can hose out the dust (no carpet) planning on building a box for a sub in the back and making it tall 2 chambers 1 for sub, top part with lid.. so i can use the top for tools and junk, like the tuffy box.. anyone ever have a mdf wood box herculined ???? how did it hold up ??

OP
OP
Tasty Geezer

Tasty Geezer

use your 6.5s for what they are intended for. mids and highs. the sub will carry all the bass you need. i havent seen a sub amp on the market that doesnt have a built in crossover and as long as it is run with rcas then the sub shouldnt get any highs run through it and you can set your head unit to tune more treble through your componet speakers and let amp and sub carry the bass.also if you want a little more pump from that amp and if you are only running one sub you can always bridge it and prolly get about 480 watts outta it. what type of sub are you looking at?

I have the 10" Sony Explode powered by a 400W 2 channle amp...

OP
OP
Tasty Geezer

Tasty Geezer

jpopsbronco....Thanks for all the info and links...I am starting to get everything hooked up now, so I guess I will know shortly if I need crossovers...oh and pics will follow as well

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
If you decide to look at roll bar options then the marine wake board tower speakers are the way to go. The only problem is that they are quite large. Kicker makes some awesome ones!! These suckers are extremely loud tho ;D

Suzy duff has a nice setup in her rig. But if you like the clean look then that would not be an option.

DSC_0051.JPG

OP
OP
Tasty Geezer

Tasty Geezer

If you decide to look at roll bar options then the marine wake board tower speakers are the way to go. The only problem is that they are quite large. Kicker makes some awesome ones!! These suckers are extremely loud tho ;D

Suzy duff has a nice setup in her rig. But if you like the clean look then that would not be an option.

DSC_0051.JPG

WoW...those are big...sticking with the sub behind the rear seat...thanks though...

OP
OP
Tasty Geezer

Tasty Geezer

Stereo amp/sub question...Audio guru's (INSTALL PICS ADDED)

Alright guys...everything has been hooked up and I am VERY pleased with the sound:cool:

I really like having the AMP mounted to the underside of the passenger seat. I can flip the seat forward and tune the AMP from the drivers seat with ease. It is a real clean look also. This is my DD and I run just a shade top in the summer, so the chance of water getting on the floors happens. The AMP is tucked up snug and seems out of the elements harm.

Routing ALL the wiring under the truck also solved having a home for all the wires since I don't have carpet to hide them under. Kept the inside real clean looking. I used rubber gromlets at the 3 penetrations in the tub (one at the passenger seat hinge, firewall at the head unit and truck bed behind the rear seat). I also used Fuel line to house the wires along the frame rails on the underside.

Looks and Sounds Sweeeet and I couldn't be happier:) Thanks for all the help my brothas!

Attachments

• bronco upgs 004.jpg
    bronco upgs 004.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 138
  • bronco upgs 011.jpg
    bronco upgs 011.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 139
  • bronco upgs 013.jpg
    bronco upgs 013.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 119
  • bronco upgs 018.jpg
    bronco upgs 018.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 119
  • bronco upgs 022.jpg
    bronco upgs 022.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 117
  • bronco upgs 024.jpg
    bronco upgs 024.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 122
  • bronco upgs 028.jpg
    bronco upgs 028.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 121
  • bronco upgs 031.jpg
    bronco upgs 031.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
Tasty Geezer

Tasty Geezer

Now all I need to do is find a way to bolt the box/sub down so it doesn't just walk away...Any good ideas???

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
take out the sub,, bolt to floor. use big fender washers .put sub back in.. so no one can rip it out .. only prob is the gas tank

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
I chained mine to the rear seat because someone has already stolen one amp and was almost away with my sub too.Thats the main problem with open and easy to break into vehicles like ours..After I decided i didn't want my new amp and sub to be stolen I took some big chain and some monster flat top bolts/washers and bolted the chain to the box did a loop around the frame of my rear seat and then padlocked it to my amp (under my rear seat). definatly put some type of cover over it or go the deterrent type route like i did. Of course now with my alarm in I feel much better. Do something that makes it pretty removable. that way for trips you can pull er out if you need the room and not the boom.
I dont recommend bolting it to the floor. alot of people use the hooked side of velcro to stick the box to the carpet but thats only good nuff to stop it from flying around. Mine is REALLY wedged between the rear seat and tailgate then I took a ball pin and smashed in the mdf a little where the back of the seat bolts are so they grab the top of the box. if you have a cage you might be able to do some type of strap or cable or something holding it solid? I'm sure someone has some great idea on here!

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
maybe you could use two pieces like 2.5" by 6" of sheet metal like 1/8" and screw it into the bottom of your box extending about 3 inches out the from the front and attach it to your rear seat belt bolts? That way it will wedge the box up against your seat and the top seat bar will keep it from coming up and the sheet metal brackets will hold it from coming back? Just an idea.. I know its probably pretty hard to understand lol :)

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Fender washers and thru floor is How I had my 2 12" JL's on the Ram, I plan to move one to the EB, my Brother might get the second one, if he is nice to me.

On our old 81 CJ7, the previous owner had a pipe across the top and a padlock on to the cage. kind of in the way of things.