• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stereo and Amp expert advice needed

tw322

I am thinking about installing my amp in the center console. I have the one that fits the stereo at an angle with storage behind it. My question is: what is the best place for the amp? I was thinking about putting it inside the locking console but will heat be a problem? How far away from the stereo set is too far for the amp? My Bronco has no doors or top so security is somewhat a concern but doesn't dictate the decision entirely. There is also some "dead space" on the passenger side just in front of the wheel well that I could mount the amp at about a 45 degree angle and then make a sheet metal cover to hide/secure it. It would be about 24- 30 inches from the stereo set. Idea and photos of what others have done is appreciated!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You can pretty much mount an amp as far away as you want.
I like your idea on the passenger side amp location. I fit a small Alpine amp behind the dash once with some custom brackets.
In the console "could" work. Heat "is" an issue. Higher quality amps can tolerate more heat than cheaper ones but as they say, "your results may vary".
So you "could" mount a high quality amp that you don't work too hard and it "could" work fine in the console.
I once mounted an amplifier inside of a "ported" bass enclosure. It didn't get so hot that it shut itself off but it probably got damn close.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
Question for TW, how big is the amp you're using? Not amps but physical size? And what are you going to run off it?

Iam at a point were I got to think about all this stuff.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Here's my amp in the space between my wheel well and the door. Mine is stretched so I have a lot more room than most, I moved my wheel house back at least 4-5 inches.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
tw322

tw322

Question for TW, how big is the amp you're using? Not amps but physical size? And what are you going to run off it?

Iam at a point were I got to think about all this stuff.

The amp is a Pyle marine amp that measures about 7" x 8". I also bought the Kenwood marine stereo cd that is sirius, iPod, etc ready and capable. I have six speakers to g with it. 2 6x9's, 2 6 1/2's and 2 5 1/4's. The 6x9's in the back and the 5 1/4's in the centra pod over the tunnel and then I am still working on the location for the 6 1/2's.

OP
OP
tw322

tw322

Here's my amp in the space between my wheel well and the door. Mine is stretched so I have a lot more room than most, I moved my wheel house back at least 4-5 inches.

Thanks SpareParts! That is exactly how I test fit mine and your picture just reinforces that. I can tell you have more room but mine will still fit. bronconut73's reply just confirms for me that inside the console may not be the greatest for heat purposes. I think if I make a cover with holes drilled in it (for air flow) it may hide and secure it to some degree.

Thanks gents the help is always appreciated!

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I will eventually make a cover to keep it a little dryer. It's a marine amp, but I don't want to test it. I'm thinking plexiglass and leaving vent holes under the rail for it to breath.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
When i had one my amp was mounted to the bottom of the passenger seat.An amp that size may fit under your dash with some brackets though.BTW i'm not an expert.

OP
OP
tw322

tw322

When i had one my amp was mounted to the bottom of the passenger seat.An amp that size may fit under your dash with some brackets though.BTW i'm not an expert.

Yeah I considered the passenger seat but I want to eventually put a tuffy box in that location so that's out. and it's ok......you are probably more of an expert than me so that counts;D

08ag

Loc.
Rockwall TX
mine is mounted under the back seat, H/U is in the center console. Can't see the amp unless you go looking for it, and it's a big amplifier. As long as you use low level inputs for signal distance is not an issue in an EB.