• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

sterling 10.25 and 10.5 question!!

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
ok i bought a sterling 10.25 and it is about 3 inches more narrow than my dana 60 front end. (1.5" each side") my dad has a sterling 10.5 out of a 2003 f350 powerstroke and it has the metric lug pattern. has anyone converted that axle to 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern?? i would like to run it because it is a little bit wider and has the factory disc brakes on it. do you have to have custom axle shafts made or what do u have to do to get it to be 8 on 6.5? please give me some feed back im going to be ordering gears and lockers soon so i do not know which rear axle i am using yet.
thank you

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might be able to redrill the hubs on the 10.5 sterling. To me the best thing would be to find a Dana 60 out of a late model E350 van they still use the 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern and are also equiped with disc brakes.

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
ya i have looked into them too! i have a early model dana 60 with 4:56 gears and a detroit locker in it but it was 6 inches too short and looked retarded in there i was thinkin about just runnin the 10.5 since its here and im sick of buying rear axles lol i have a mini graveyard goin on here of them lol

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I just went out and measured my front vs rear width tire to tire and yep, its about 3" more narrow in the rear.

I have a front 89 Dana 60 and rear 86 10.25

I think I remember asking the same question and wondering why it was off by 3 whole inches. Before you toss the narrower rear axle, do some searching on google for "front axle wider"

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/886361-why-does-my-front-axle-have-a-wider-trac-than-the-rear.html

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1871

Can you tell my front is wider than the rear by 1.5" on both sides?
DSCF0984-M.jpg

Don't undo the engineering! :)

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
ya i have a 79 kingpin and a 91 sterling but i dont know why they made the 10.5 a little wider just by looking at it you can tell it is a wider axle and ok thank you i will check those links out

dclack

You can use the Superduty 10.5, just check out this link. There are 3 options in that thread to convert it to 8 on 6.5 (The third is toward the end.). ;)

Btw, 10.25 and 10.5 gears and lockers are interchangeable. The only difference between the two is the inner pinion bearing, so just buy a master install kit that's the same as the gears (10.25 gears & bearing kit or 10.5 gears and bearing kit) and you are good to install them in either axle. Actually, I don't think there are any aftermarket gear vendors that make 10.5 gears, just 10.25.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
The newer front axles will be wider to accommodate the wider rear. They have changed the offset of the wheels to a bigger backspacing and made the axles wider for better handling.