• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

STILL a Virgin !!!!!

miztergentz

Loc.
Pensacola Florida
Well, as many of you read last week I was about to become a first time owner of an EB that I'd found down in Orange Park Florida, just South of Daytona Beach. I was told that she was a 9.5 out of a 10, (and after I studied all the pictures I believed it was).... that everything was original and in tip top shape. So, Friday afternoon after I got off work I borrowed my friends F250 4x4 diesel crew cab truck and drove from Pensacola to Daytona Beach... I rented a motel room and my wife and I crashed. We got up Saturday morning and went a rented a 165.00 U-Haul trailer and then went to get "our baby".... thats where all the fun stops.... She was nothing like I was told and thanks to this forum many of you old me what to look for and I think I found 'em all. I think there was more bondo than metal.... So, I had to tell the guy that this wasn't the one for me, we took the trailer back to U- Haul for a refund and headed back to Pensacola empty handed... So, once again here I am still looking... Last thing I'll say: If a deal sounds too good to be true....RUN!!!

jray

Glad you resisted the temptation if it wasn't your cup of tea. Keep looking, they are out there, if you're willing to be patient.......but watch out for the addiction when you do take the plunge!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well that blows. Hang in there, I'm sure another one will come along

2b1ask1

Loc.
oklahoma
I kinda did the same thing once.. I drove to Athens, TX to buy a 66 halfcab that was supposed to be "nearly rust free". I also rented a u-haul trailer and ended up driving home with an empty trailer.. Its better to walk away, rather than buy something and regret it...

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Does this look familiar?
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169164

If it's the same one I think it is then you made a very smart decision to walk away. I wish you could have read this before you drove all the way down to Daytona. Hopefully you at least had a good weekend with the wife.;)

Edit: I didn't realize that the CL ads had been removed before I put up the link. But let me guess, it was a freshly painted dark green, full hard top.

Nightmare Bronc

Man glad you spotted all the problems before you got it home. Just keep looking and the right one will come along.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Check with yANK here on CB. Last I heard(about a month ago) he had 5 Broncos he was looking to sell. He has been working on them one at a time and then selling them. He might have one ready or close to ready. Or he might have one you'd be interested in as is. Good guy, and has built/owned +/- 50 Broncos in his life. He'll shoot straight with you.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Dont feel like the lone ranger... I drove to Brevard NC to buy a frame off restored EB several years ago only to find it was trashed. Seems that the college kid who owned it recieved it as a graduation gift or something like that from his dad. He had reciepts of near $30K invested and he probably did... but when the son got off to college in the mountains he wheel the crap out of it and it looked like it... I think he was afraid for his dad to see it.

He started out wanting 18k... then 13K... he called me a couple of weeks later and asked what I would give... I told him I didnt want it... he then said... 5k??? I turned that down as well.

A few weeks later I spotted a EB parked behind a house a few miles from my home.... stopped, looked and made an offer... I drove it away.

So after travelling to 4 states and hundreds of miles... I bought one 8 miles from home.

FYI... there is a charcoal grey one for sale on HWY 71 north of Dalton GA... looks decent but needs some work. If interested I will stop and get a number for you.

Greg

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Not a virgin and it still happens. I drove 300 miles on monday to look at a truck. Total waste of time and fuel. bottom line is if the guy is a liar and you want what he is misrepresenting it will continue to happen. In my case I was after a 78 /79 dana 60. The guy said it was a 60. When I get there it took one glance at the front end to see it was a dana 44. Took less than 5 min to get back in the truck and head home.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
It happens to us all in the search for the one mizt. I flew down to Phoenix to look at a FSB and was totally disappointed. The the damn truck would'nt even turn over and the guy was real shady. It was the best $300 I've ever spent by flying back home.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
I think at one point, it has happened to more of us than not. Good thing you knew what to look for, that saved you ALOT of hassle down the road. Be patient young one and the right one will come along... Especially if you are not looking for one, than you find alot of them...:cool:

brocken

Loc.
Seattle
Be glad that you didn't get a turd. That happened to me when I bought my first fixup motorcycle. I was so excited to get it that I overlooked a lot of stuff I shouldn't have.
Turned out the bike really need a TON of stuff to get it going. Ended up re selling it as is to my bro in law.

When the right one comes along you'll be so happy and it will be worth the wait.
The extra time and work you spend searching now will save you blood sweat and tears later.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Be glad you walked away!! I jumped into my first classic with out looking too deep and I got burned it was a 67 mustang owned by a little old lady. But it had buckets of bondo in the rear fenders and upper shock mounts were rusted thru. The thing would eat tires and the rear fenders bubbled up within 3 months. Lesson learned.

jperry1290

Had the same experience thanks to good ol craigslist. Guy said rust/dent free, but it was a bucket. Blueprinted motor had no receipts and was leaking oil. Body was rough and lots of bondo which was only found after a magnet test. Test drove it and the tires broke free in front of a cop, guy claimed it was the posi. He wanted 7k so I offered him 1500 for the frame,body, and wheels. He laughed said no and reposted it for 10k the next day. Worst part is that I drove and hour each way and paid two tolls. Bought one a few weeks later which is my current project. Of course I saw one for sale by my parents house a few days later in better shape for the same price. Oh well.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Had a guy tell me there was no rust on a truck- because the parts that rusted fell off! He said he fixed any rusted parts- he used sheet metal to cover it up. I don't think he had looked at that truck in years becuase he had not represented it well at all.

Your best bet is to ask someone here to look at the truck for you, there are a bunch of stand up guys here who would be happy to do that for free or at most gas money. I know I would do it.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
always go check out the Bronco first and if it's the one THEN go to the nearest UHaul and rent the trailer. never rent the trailer first! my $.02...

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
glad you did your research....post up what you're looking for, someone may have it or know where it's parked...

Tuck

There have been a few listed around P'cola off & on. Have you checked them out? The ones I've seen advaertised have been pretty high dollar, though. Last one on CL was about $15K. I'd expect to see rust around the coast, so just find something that's not too bad. Also, like another poster stated, right after you spend your money on one, a much better deal will come along. Know that up front so you won't cry later.

There are a few Broncos in the area, so if you haven't done it already, you can check one out up close & ask questions about other things to look for.