• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Ignition Timing for '77?

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Last week the Bronco barely failed the bi-annual California emssions test, the main issue being that the "timing is incorrect."

Does anyone know what the factory timing should be for a California-spec stock 1977 302? I looked in the shop manual, and it said "see decal under hood." Well, I don't think I've ever seen a Bronco that still has that sticker, and I can't find a reference.

I'd rather not guess (6?), then go back and find out "BZZZZT...fail!" again, only to have to re-do the whole process. I need the actual spec that the smog station is going by (yes, in hindsight, I should have asked him!).

I know there were some really goofy, makes-it-run-like-crap specs in the late '70s, like 4, 2 or even 0.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Just to be safe I set my timing at 0 every year for testing and it passes with flying colors. It runs like a dog but it easily passes the emissions. Another thing you can do is disconnect and plug the vacuum advance.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If they told you the timing was incorrect, ask them "what is the correct spec?" See what you get for an answer.

All I find is the "refer to underhood sticker" as well. But I see 6° for years prior, the sticker comment, then a few more 6°, then back to the sticker comment.

OP
OP
Stroppe-Envy-77

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I did a search before posting the question, and 6 degrees seemed to be the common answer, with one poster even saying his Bronco "ran terribly when I set it at 6 to pass the California emissions test."

My concern is that there may be different specs for different years.

OP
OP
Stroppe-Envy-77

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
The sticker on the valve cover of my CA smogged '77 says 6* BTDC and 600 RPM.

Thanks for the add'l info. Sounds like 49-state spec was 8, but CA was 6. I set it at 6 and it actually runs okay, but it was at about 10-12 when it failed.

I should be good to go now...thanks for all the help from everyone.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I never had any inspector hesitate to tell me what the correct timing was on any of my engines. Too bad yours was not quite so forthcoming with his vast smog knowledge.
You'd think a "Test-Only" station would not be tight-lipped about it. Was this a full test-and-fix type place?
Just curious.

Paul

OP
OP
Stroppe-Envy-77

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I never had any inspector hesitate to tell me what the correct timing was on any of my engines. Too bad yours was not quite so forthcoming with his vast smog knowledge.
You'd think a "Test-Only" station would not be tight-lipped about it. Was this a full test-and-fix type place?
Just curious.

Paul

To be honest, I didn't think to ask him. I was actually too busy explaining why it might have "failed" the evap. test.

He didn't realize there were two gas tanks, so once I pointed that out, he told me to never mind that part. I wasn't going to ask any more questions once he told me "okay, when you come back, disregard the evap." I figured the timing was the easy issue to deal with.

Yes, it's a test-only place with a free re-test. I was both pissed that the Bronco failed, but relieved that all I had to do was adjust the timing.

Brinco

I had a similar expereince with my 76 last week so i will be tuning it up tomorrow. Since I was sent to a test only the guy said he could not tell me anything. The only thing I found out was that if you have two gas tanks then you can ignore the evap test.

I barely failed the CO part and am looking for the timing as well and could not find it. It sounds liek it is probably 6 as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I loved my old MSD "Adjustable Timing Control" Duraspark module. Last time I had it in for smog (many moons ago), I ran into the same problem, like just about every time before. This time though when he said I needed to be at some certain degrees BTDC, I just went into the cab, reached under the column and dialed it back a few degrees. Nice.
Luckily he didn't fail me right there, since I don't think that particular MSD unit had an E.O. number.
I think I was running at about 12° to 13° too, most of the time.

Paul

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Paul

Paul, these test only guys only know what is in "the book". Half of them did not live in this country in the 70's or they were not old enough to drive then.

There are a few who know what end is up, but they are few and far between.

You should have witnessed the Mongolian Cluster F*#@ when they could not find my vin tag... I could have sold tickets!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Paul, these test only guys only know what is in "the book". Half of them did not live in this country in the 70's or they were not old enough to drive then.

There are a few who know what end is up, but they are few and far between.

You should have witnessed the Mongolian Cluster F*#@ when they could not find my vin tag... I could have sold tickets!

A co-worker bought a model-A streetrod. Went to a trophy shop and had an engraved plaque made "Model A Ford VIN xxxxxxx" in old script on a brass plate. Stuck it on the lower corner of the windshield. Went in for AZ state inspection. They looked at the plate, wrote down the numbers, told him to go inside and get the title and registration.

OP
OP
Stroppe-Envy-77

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Follow-Up

The Bronco passed the CA Smog Check today with the static timing set at 6* BTDC, so that seems to be the magic number.

Gotta write that down somewhere so that the 2011 test goes much easier!

Brinco

glad to see you passed it. yeah I had a good laugh when the guy was looking for the vin, hell he could not even figure out how to keep the hood up. He marked my timing down at 6 but when I got home and checked it it was no where close to that, he could not even read it right. Most of these guys have no clue.