• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Power Steering Pump Install - please help!

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
In the process of putting things back together (retrofitting my '70 with power steering off of a '76. Have a few questions for those of you in the know:

1. Is it necessary to shim with washers the upper bolt on the PS pump (the one with the long bolt that screws into the block and comes through the bracket that bolts to the water pump), or should it just fit loosely. allowing the pump to slide back and forth a bit.

1a. when screwing this bolt into the block, do you screw until it bottoms out, or should there be some sort of nut to lock it in place?

2. What size bolt goes through the "bottom" hole where the PS cooler mounts?

3. Any other hints on putting on the power steering?

4. Where's a good place to reloate my ignition coil? It was on the front of the block on the driver's side, right where the cooler and PS pump need to mount up.

Apperciate all of the help - thank you guys!

Jerry

Last edited:

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
I will tell you what I can. The bolt that goes into the block on mine is what appears to be a homemade stud, I always screw it in all the way and put the nut on after the pump. There is a shim that is a 1/2 inch thick behind the pump on that stud. You want to shim it however you need to in order to line up your pulleys. The bolt that holds on the cooler takes a 1/2 inch socket.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I just put a 76 PS unit on my 76. I found that long stud you asked about to be daunting , since I didnt want to remove my radiator---again. So, I was able to vise-grip it in, probably not far enough, as I too had threads remaining...I didnt put washers between the braket and the block (b/c I could remove it all and install with the fan shroud/radiator in place. It hasnt moved and once everything else is bolted together, it will not move. Q1-b) No, I went in as I said above. If I remember right its a 7/16 coarse thread...there are some 3/8 and some 7/16s threads, they are all coarse. No other hints, Oh, well what pump do you plan on using...there are some tricks to one or two of those...as far as aligning the pulley. Q4-) Try the fender well, its close and sheet metal screws are sufficient...thats where my stock ignition module is. Good luck.

OP
OP
jerry

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Thanks for the replies

Psycho, I removed the radiator already to assist in swapping the pulleys, etc. I've been wanting to flush the cooling system and replace the hoses, so now was my "excuse" to do so. %)

Michael, I found the "washer" in the bag of parts my parts supplier provided.

Thanks for the help, guys!