• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock ride height?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Before buying springs it would be helpful to have a definition of what is "stock" ride height and were does someone measure it?Both EBs I purchased new and the used one all had 4900lb.GVW packages that have a nose down stance with the front 2 1/2"+ lower than the rear.This is an effort to raise the front end to about 1/2"to1" lower to than the rear,a stance I prefer. Venders offer "stock" and 2 1/2" rear leafs. How do these compare to the 4900GVW rear sprngs ?What front coils give an appropriate stance with either rear leaf? I don't want the rear any higher than the factory 4900 GVW springs. I think I need to install the more expensive 10 or 11 leaf rears first, then decide on front coils.I'm sure all this has been covered but I need a step by step approach to this problem hat won't require returning sets of springs in a trial and error process.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Stock ride height is measured from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame. the general consensus for stock height is 7in in the front and 6in in the rear.

I'll go out on a limb here but most of the vendors stock height rear springs should be fine. Most likely you'll get a slightly taller rear stance just due to your old springs have probably sagged a little. Once the new springs break in and sag a little you should be back to where you want to be.
As for front springs I believe BC broncos sells a 1in front spring. If the stance is not what you like then Worst case you could put a small block under the rear spring to get the stance you want instead of swapping springs around.
Now I cant speak for the stock height springs but I've found that the rear lift springs most venders sell leave the rear a little low if you run a hard top, big fuel tank and carry tools.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Thanks. Your answer gives me a good starting point. I see that the stock height leaves are a 10 pack so the option of adding one later if needed for role bar, swing away spare,rear seat, tow bar,etc. should cover most configurations. The front coils present many more options including springs for 78-79 Broncos and F150 4x4s. All off witch have known heights at a given load.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
78/79 springs are larger diameter and tend to have a higher spring rate due to the larger engines and body weight they were meant to carry. So usually the ride is stiffer than most like. back in the day that was the cheap way to gain 1- 1 1/2" of lift.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
78/79 springs are larger diameter and tend to have a higher spring rate due to the larger engines and body weight they were meant to carry. So usually the ride is stiffer than most like. back in the day that was the cheap way to gain 1- 1 1/2" of lift.

Personally, I really liked the way mine handled/drove with those springs in the front.
Joe