• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Spare Tire Carrier

Mullett

Loc.
Manassas, VA
I have a stock spare tire carrier to install on my 66 - There has never been one installed on this truck prior to this and there are no holes to mopunt . I have looked at schematics from parts catalogs, but there are no measurements. Can anyone give me some ideas for how to go about getting this thing installed properly without making a mess of my truck.

mountain14er

Loc.
Denver
As an aside, my 66 has the spare mounted to a bracket inside the tailgate, so if you're going for stock, that's where it should go.

If you want to put the newer style on, I can't help you without measuring my 73. Maybe someone else can help.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Make sure you have the backing plates that slip inside the rear post, the sheetmetal won't hold it and will end up swiss cheesy. If you have the backing plates and the latch, they should help you with the placement. Mine is in pieces right now so I cant give you any specifics on placement.

OP
OP
Mullett

Mullett

Loc.
Manassas, VA
No, I am aware of the stock location on the 66 inside the tailgate. I am talking about a stock Bronco exterior tire carrier and the mounting locations for this. I have the backing plates etc. I need specifics on where to mount this ie. how far down or up etc same with the latch so I don't wind up with a crooked mess.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I have shaved mine off because they are extremely difficult to keep from rattling.
The center of the outside lower hole on the top bracket is 3/4" down from the body line above the tailight and 2 1/2" over from the tail gate seem.
The center of the top outside hole for the lower hing is 3/4" down from the lower body line and 2 1/2" over frok taigate seem.
I would mark these and then hold the rack up to mark the rest including the latch I don't have a tail gate with any holes left in it.

Hope this helps.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The cleanest way to mount it is to assemble the whole carrier, bushings and all, and the latch mechanism, and have someone hold them in place. There will be a position where the latch wants to be and a position where the hinges want to be in order for the carrier to swing freely. Them mark or center punch through the mounting on the body and on the tailgate. Use good quality bolts and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
Mullett

Mullett

Loc.
Manassas, VA
I agree with this approach - but can see the potential for misalignment - I was really looking for some measurements ie. top of lower carrier hing is x inches from the botom of the taillight etc. Something like that. I also started to just loosly fit the parts and ran into alot of difficulty with the upper backing plate - I can not get this to fit in the tail light housing no matter how I try. Is there any difference from year to year in the construction of the rear quarter?

drewloch

I put a stock spare tire carrier on my 66 and the only problem I ran into was the raised ridge horizontally across the tailgate. In 66 this is a step down, versus later years it was a semi circular ridge. It is tough to explain. If you look at the bracket which you mount to the tailgate you will see it has a semicircular relief built into it to go over the ridge on the tailgate. The 66's do not have this same ridge. I just shimmed the latch. Not the best solution but it works.